Questions for a new 50 gallon tank.... help me out here.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

phoenixkiller

Aquarium Advice Addict
So I may be getting my last tank for years and making it a planted tank! It's gonna be awesome, but we all know that the most important thing in planted tanks is the lighting. I want it to be medium light, so I can grow a wider range of things. BUT NOT TOO HIGH, as I will not spend 200+ in a CO2 system that my dad objects to. Just any ideas for a brand, or a size, or where to buy it?

Tank dimensions are 36" long, 20" high, 15" wide.

Also, how much Eco-Complete should I use? I have tons of white, clean sand, so capping won't be an issue. You saw the tank dimensions, is 20 lbs enough, or do I need more?

I want to get heavy root feeders (I.E. Crypts) for this tank, and a rich substrate is always good .

Thanks guys!

As far as Eco-complete goes, you don't need to cap it. The formula for substrate that I know is 1 pound of substrate for every gallon of water equals 1 inch of substrate. For my last 55g which is 4' long I used 3 or 4 bags of Eco, and it is the only substrate.

I'd suggest putting a layer of dirt under the eco complete. I have that current set up and my swords and crypts crow like crazy.

I wanted to do dirt, but I'm a person that messes with plants and lot and I'm never finished scaping a tank, and dirt tends do be messy whenever you do ANYTHING with the plants in the tank, so dirt is out of the question unfortunately. But do you guys know of any non-super-expensive substrates that are pretty rich, enough to support Swords/Crypts/other heavy root feeders without root tabs? It doesn't have to be dirt cheap, but I'm not gonna mess with the stuff that's 2 bucks a pound. I just don't wanna mess any further with root tabs.

Thanks!

I know what you mean, dirt certainly isn't a clean substrate. Moving stem plants is easy but any plant with a large root structure will make a temporary mess if you try to move it.

Back
Top Bottom