Questions on 30g tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Paul fish

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I was originally gonna start out the hobby by using my 75g in storage but decided to tone it down to a 30g long. Soooo, they say to use a hang on protein skimmer instead of a protein skimmer in a sump for a 30g. But would a sump/refugium be too much or unnecessary? Gonna use some live rock then surround it with base rock and use the live to seed (also live sand), how much sand and rock will I need? And what kind of light will I need to get proper care to my corals or inverts that require light.

Paul fish said:
I was originally gonna start out the hobby by using my 75g in storage but decided to tone it down to a 30g long. Soooo, they say to use a hang on protein skimmer instead of a protein skimmer in a sump for a 30g. But would a sump/refugium be too much or unnecessary? Gonna use some live rock then surround it with base rock and use the live to seed (also live sand), how much sand and rock will I need? And what kind of light will I need to get proper care to my corals or inverts that require light.

I have a 29G setup right now. No corals yet but I'm getting there.. here's what I have..
Skilter 250 HOB(built in Skimmer)
Koralia 425 powerhead
Soon to have an Odyssea T5 4bulb fixture for corals

You'll want atleast a 4 bulb fixture for most corals.. anything less and you'll be stuck with doin soft corals.

Id say 30lbs Live Rock at least and maybe 40lbs of sand.. I have less then 29 lbs of rock in my tank but I plan on getting more. And I also have 40lbs of sand :) hope this helps!

Back
Top Bottom