Quick skimmer question??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BOTLFED

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
What causes the skimmer to have big bubbles?? Every once and a while I look behind the tank and the bubbles are huge and in a tornado pattern. I clean and check the air tube and its always ok. Then it will go back to being real fine misty bubbles after a few days. I figure its probably the skimmer, but is there a slight chance it might be the water conditions? Id rather ask for advise before reacting and wasting more money that I already have.

TIA,
Chris

what kind of skimmer ? whats your salinity at ? the lower the salinity the larger the bubbles would be :)

Catalina Aquatics?? I think thats it. Its for a 200-300 gal tank so I thought it would work fine, but it seems real inconsistant. Ill check the salinity later and get back you. Thanks for the quick reply

not sure the size of your tank but if your using this skimmer on lets say a 55 gallon this would be normal imo if your bio load is low ! the skimmer will not have anything to always pull out of the water :)

160 gal...So the small bubbles are when its working and pulling out garbage?? Big bubbles are when the water is clean and not wokring as much??

lets try this route first how is air injected into the skimmer? is it via being chopped thru the impeller of the pump or is it going the a beckett type injector ?

All it says on the box is "Jet Venturi System" with "Air injection Control." It hangs on the back of the tank. I think im going to look into a new one. The one I just bought for my 55 gal. (JEBO) works great and it really quiet. With the JEBO, its being shot through these impellers you were talking about. That tank is only 2 days old so we'll see how it works with fish and a bio load.

Thanks

yea so the impeller mixes the air and water so should be uniformed bubbles! after re-reading your first post i think you will notice larger bubbles after cleaning the skimmer which will then take a few days to break back in and start skimming:)
but with a low bio load your skimmer will not have much to pull out which is a good thing

Back
Top Bottom