Quietened Eshopps Overflow-The Secret is in the Box!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CatoeSc

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Like many here, I have been frustrated by the noise created by the Eshopps overflow box. The product is working great, but it's so loud! So, I took to the Internet to figure out how to make it quiet.

I found a variety of methods, but after thinking about the primary reasons for their success, I realized that the PVC insert that goes in the INSIDE if the box has an 2" tube sticking off of it for what seems to be no reason. I think figured out the reason!

Could it be a siphon break!? That packing foam that eShopps doesn't tell you what to do with fits snugly into the PVC pipe with that handy 2" tube sticking out about 2".

So, I experimented with my idea. The water drains great and is as quiet, if not quieter, than the Marineland HOB filter on my sons little 10g FW tank.

So, either you already know this and think I'm way behinds the 8-ball... Or... This was NOT Eshopps purpose, and I just made it up. Either way, it works and I didn't have to build a specialized PVC gadget to quieten the overflow.

I would be interested to know if others have tried this method or if its just something I should've known.

don't you just love chasing down drain plumbing noises only to fashion something out of spare parts to quiet?? lol

Yeah, that's not what that is for. It may work but you should not jam stuff into your drain pipe, it is going to clog real fast and then you will have a huge mess. For about five bucks you can build a Hofer Gurgle Buster. Or you can feed an air line down the pipe until you hit the sweet spot.

Yeah, that's not what that is for. It may work but you should not jam stuff into your drain pipe, it is going to clog real fast and then you will have a huge mess. For about five bucks you can build a Hofer Gurgle Buster. Or you can feed an air line down the pipe until you hit the sweet spot.

Blert, I'm not sure if its a good idea or not. I'll definitely be monitoring it very closely. But the sponge is very porous and that extra 2" tube would catch the water if this caused any clogs. Plus, this prevents the critter flush where snails and the like end up in the sump.

I don't know if its the answer, but it works like a charm... So far.

Blert, I'm not sure if its a good idea or not. I'll definitely be monitoring it very closely. But the sponge is very porous and that extra 2" tube would catch the water if this caused any clogs. Plus, this prevents the critter flush where snails and the like end up in the sump.

I don't know if its the answer, but it works like a charm... So far.

Show us a pic so we can see exactly what you have done. I also have an Eshopps overflow but would never consider jamming the scrap foam from the sleeve into the drain pipe. Just trying to help you out here. The HGB will work wonders. You don't really need to worry about snails and stuff taking the ride to the sump, my overflow has been in use now for ten months and nothing has ever made the journey.

So, this ingenious idea came to me at about 1 am. I agree it's probably kinda stupid. I just left Home Depot with needed items to create one of the gadgets that have been recommended.

Lessons learned: don't make up DIY solutions after midnight!

So, this ingenious idea came to me at about 1 am. I agree it's probably kinda stupid. I just left Home Depot with needed items to create one of the gadgets that have been recommended.

Lessons learned: don't make up DIY solutions after midnight!

No worries. It does work in principle. It slows the flow and helps to direct the water onto the pipe walls where it can travel gently down the pipe instead of crashing down the pipe causing the gurgling sound with all the trapped air. It is just that the foam will clog up, and pretty quickly too. What would be worse would be cleaning up a giant wet mess at 1am. ;)

Back
Top Bottom