Quietest Airpumps and Airpumps to Avoid.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bs6749

Aquarium Advice Addict
Title says it all. I am looking for you all to post your experiences with airpumps both praises and complaints on airpumps as I will be looking for two of the quietest ones available for new tanks going up in my bedroom. Thanks for your help.

I think the Rena airpumps are the quietest. I really couldn't even hear the one I used to have (now I have a filter that doesn't run by airpump) but when I had it I never heard it vibrate or buzz. It has little rubber feet and that must make a difference. You attach the rubber feet over the metal part. It's kind of a thick piece of rubber.

The other airpump I had was a Tetratec. It was very powerful and I used it to drive two sponge filters in two different tanks. I don't know if the similarly-sized Rena could have driven two sponge filters. But the Tetratec was loud and it drove me crazy almost every day. It always gave off a low buzz and then it would start vibrating rather loudly. It did have rubber feet too, but they were small and flat - not a lot of cushioning between it and the table. I tried to put it on something to cushion it but with no luck. If the cord touched the wall, that would even cause it to vibrate horribly.

For your bedroom, I'd definitely get a Rena.

I actually did some checking around and the Rena seems to be exactly as you described...extremely quiet and not too powerful. I will want one to be able to power two sponge filters, each in 10 gallon tanks. The Rena got some mixed reviews as a lot of people said it went south after 6 months to a year. I also looked at the Whisper ones and they are quite powerful from what I hear but are on the noisy side. What a dilemma LOL.

While noise is an issue, you can reduce a lot of the noise by tossing the pumps into a small box filled with packaging material. I actually have my air pump, which is quite noisy tossed in my towel under my cabinet. It's silent after it's been muffled.

I use several Rena air pumps (1 300, 3 200 and 1 100) to drive sponge filters, airstones, etc. in almost every one of my tanks. Several are set up to drive two sponge filters (each in a different tank) and overall I have found them to be both quiet and effective. It is true that the air pump can become less effective over time (typically a year or more) but it is both easy and inexpensive to get a repair kit and replace the necessary components. It takes less than five minutes with a screwdriver and a pair of pliers to replace the parts and it is what I have done for the last several years. By comparison, doing a similar repair job on a Tetratec air pump is virtually impossible because you have to deal with several extremely small and difficult pieces. Your LFS should be able to get the Rena repair kits for you or you can buy them online at places like www.bigalsonline.com.

Thanks for the help you guys.

Gheitman - could you do me a favor and test to see if a 100 has enough power to run a sponge filter each in two 10 gallon setups? I'd greatly appreciate it if you could as it would help me decide which size I need.

I would recommend getting the 200 to run sponge filters in two 10 gallon tanks. That is what I do myself and the 200 has the added feature of an adjustable output. The manufacturer may rate the 100 as being good for tanks up to 20 gallons but IME it isn't really adequate to work with two 10 gallon ones.

In your opinion, does the 200 have enough power to run 2 filters in separate 10's then?

Yes, that is what I have done for the last several years now. You will want to get a gang valve so that you can adjust the output of the air pump to the tanks on an individual basis.

Well, I ended up ordering 2 of the Tetra Whisper 20 air pumps instead. They were quite a bit cheaper and I have heard mixed reviews on them. I can always unplug them or muffle them if they become too noisy.

I have a Whisper 20 and its just fine. Only thing I had to keep an eye was placement... which any pump touching something does the same vibration. I like mine, plus It does power pretty well.

Back
Top Bottom