R.macrandra lose leaves

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Patrice

Aquarium Advice FINatic
What are the reason i am losing the bottoms leaves about 1 a day.
It turn yellow then detach

I dont think its light, because its bright red, what it might be then?
You can see the long branch without its leaves in the picture.
[/ATTACH]

Attachments

• 100_0967.jpg
    100_0967.jpg
    252.4 KB · Views: 86
Are you using CO2? What kind of ferts? What is your lighting?

Most of the time if the lower leaves of stem plants aren't getting enough light they will lose leaves. In my 30" tall 220g tank with the back stem plants that get almost 30" tall and have tons of other stems and plants in front of them it is not uncommon for the lower 1/3 of the stem to lose leaves since they get no light that deep and shaded completely by other plants growing in front of them.

Are you using CO2? What kind of ferts? What is your lighting?

Most of the time if the lower leaves of stem plants aren't getting enough light they will lose leaves. In my 30" tall 220g tank with the back stem plants that get almost 30" tall and have tons of other stems and plants in front of them it is not uncommon for the lower 1/3 of the stem to lose leaves since they get no light that deep and shaded completely by other plants growing in front of them.

i am using c02, dry fert, 2x 36 watt in 30 gallon,

Try cutting and replanting the good growth and up your CO2 if possible. Then see if light is actually reaching lower leaves. Also is there enough current/flow in your tank? Flow in the tank is what brings nutrients to lower leaves. Also what are your nitrate and phosphate levels?

Try cutting and replanting the good growth and up your CO2 if possible. Then see if light is actually reaching lower leaves. Also is there enough current/flow in your tank? Flow in the tank is what brings nutrients to lower leaves. Also what are your nitrate and phosphate levels?
c02
uping my co2 is out of the question. My co2 is using 1 bubble a sec, more then this, i wound have to change the 20 oz co2 tank every month.

light (life glow t5 6700k 34 in 39 watts)
In the picture you can see that the same type of plants under the lower one is green, its style doing fine. flow is very good trust me on that. What its possible, it's to much light using my co2 and nutriment quickly. maybe

flow rate is ok.

nitrate is at 20 ppm,
phosphate is at 0 but for some reason, my plant is getting phosphate. if i add phosphate i get spot algea meaning i dont have high nitrate compare to phosphate, with is not true. well that what i think.

What kind of CO2 are you using that only has a 20oz tank? Also what size is the tank? How much dry ferts are you dosing daily as you shouldn't have 0 phosphates. Green spot algae doesn't develop from too much phosphates. In fact when it's present in a tank phosphate levels are raised in order to make it go away.

That doesn't look particularly like Macrandra to me.

I agree. Looks like ludwigia glandulosa to me. Additionally, blackening stems is a classic ludwigia problem IME. In fact I've had all kinds of ludwigia pull this crap on me (repens, inclinata, hybrid red, etc), but never rotala who tend to just shed leaves and leave an ugly stalk behind.

It does look like a light issue to me. While yes, the plant is nice and red on top, if you look at the shorter plants near the bottom, they are almost entirely green. R. macranda and L. glandulosa both don't need a ton of light to redden up, so it's very likely that shading + depth are taking a toll on your light intensity.

I agree. Looks like ludwigia glandulosa to me. Additionally, blackening stems is a classic ludwigia problem IME. In fact I've had all kinds of ludwigia pull this crap on me (repens, inclinata, hybrid red, etc), but never rotala who tend to just shed leaves and leave an ugly stalk behind. It does look like a light issue to me. While yes, the plant is nice and red on top, if you look at the shorter plants near the bottom, they are almost entirely green. R. macranda and L. glandulosa both don't need a ton of light to redden up, so it's very likely that shading + depth are taking a toll on your light intensity.

That's exactly what I was thinking. I thought it looked just like glandulosa

That's exactly what I was thinking. I thought it looked just like glandulosa

your right, i found my aquarium plants name from google, its was not very acurate. So.... what can i replace it with that will not shed.

I probably will need to give lots of light so that i dont losing its leave right. Giving more light will mean more of everything, i am not ok with this. The light is good and strong right now. More will mean more of everything from fertiliser to c02.

Losing bottom leaves is exactly what made me give up on the L. Glandulosa and I have high light, pps-pro and glut. There are too many other Ludwigias and Rotalas out there that IMO are just as nice and keep their leaves better. One I'm finding is a real good performer for me is the bronze leafed Ludwigia Ovalis. OS.

Losing bottom leaves is exactly what made me give up on the L. Glandulosa and I have high light, pps-pro and glut. There are too many other Ludwigias and Rotalas out there that IMO are just as nice and keep their leaves better. One I'm finding is a real good performer for me is the bronze leafed Ludwigia Ovalis. OS.

ok then, i am going to get rid off it, i am going to change some other thing in the same time. if you can help on that also. Here.
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f24/please-help-aquascape-my-aquarium-289429.html#post2754004

Back
Top Bottom