Rachelle's 180 gal build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Purevil21 said:
I'm following your build, it seems to be going pretty well. I love the aquascaping. I am trying to use you and Greenmaster's builds as a guideline. I am starting a 250 gallon reef build next month.

Are you starting from scratch or is it going to be a conversion? I can't even imagine 250 gallons in my living room. Wow. Can't wait to see it get started.

Everything in the tank Is looking great with one exception my rose bta just looks pathetic. Has since we moved it over. I thought it would be happier with the better water conditions (we were battling high nitrates in the old tank). Not sure what I should do. Maybe it's depressed because it's favorite clown didn't make the trip to the new tank (maroon that was slightly more aggressive than we wanted and liked to kick sand up all over everything). Suggestions?

How long did you acclimate the bubble tip for? Also there are slight spikes throughout the day in a new tank so that may have something to do with it but hopefully someone more knowledgeable and has dealt with nems before will chime in for you

The nem went in a week ago. He is starting to look better today. He finally has decided to give up his rock and apparently move to a more favorable place (at least I think that's what he is doing). Glad he's looking better, unfortunately the spot he appears to be picking is not in a good viewing area.

So now the nem has moved again (I think). And wherever it is he has went, I can't see him. It's driving me crazy. Not sure if I should move some rocks around to look or just assume he is ok

Are you starting from scratch or is it going to be a conversion? I can't even imagine 250 gallons in my living room. Wow. Can't wait to see it get started.

Starting from scratch, and I ended up ordering a 220. I liked the 6ft better. 6x2 and 30" tall. The only difference from a 180 is the height. I started a build thread. The tank won't be here for 6-8 weeks, custom order. I am building the sump this weekend. Your tank is looking great so far.

30 inches is pretty tall if you ask me, but that will look good :)

are you re enforcing your floor? adding some extra floor joists and a load bearing wall below it? that 220g with a 55g sump/fuge is going to weight about 2700lbs

Only one floor in my house, and it is on a concrete pad. Gotta love FL hurricane code. lol

One thing I have to say about tall tanks... (I got one that is 39") They are a serious pain to do anything on the sand bed.

6" Thick per code if I'm not mistaken. According to what I am seeing, that is good for at least 3500lbs per square inch, It's the same thickness in the house as it is in the garage, and my truck weights nearly 5,000 lbs, with only four small points of contact. I would imagine the tank should be supported with no issues.

4" concrete combined with the weight of the load of a wall holding the roof of a house... Could lead to issues. Which is why I asked.

the load bearing beam with posts they sit on a footing, its a much thicker pad and a differnt MPA of concrete, then gravel on top, then a floor is pours over that. if there is wood bearing walls then its the same thing, footing with a pop up that raises a few inches above the actual basement floor

Right so that slab is sitying on a ledge of cement and the load bearing walls take a majority of wight but not all. 6" concrete apparently code in fl is most likely fine but in mn 4" is code which only has a 2500 load every three feet... If your gc got cheap and watered a bit its weaker yet. If a spot was weak on grade more so. My only concern was if she only had 4". Wiyh concrete you dont always see damage right away it so with nearly 3000 pounds it most likely wouldnt be a problem right away but yrs down the road. Once again she has 6" and it shouldnt be an issue.

She is he, lol. Yes, I have friends down here with 300 gallon reefs that have no issues. I went as far as calling my builder, my house is only 2 years old, and he confirmed the concrete is 6 inches and actually the mix they use is good for 4000psi. The tank has a 1,728 square inch foot print, granted most of the weight is on the corners. But I don't anticipate any issues.

Back
Top Bottom