Rain water for pwc's

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wildroseofky

Aquarium Advice Addict
My family is complaining about how much water I am using for my fish tanks. I only have two but I have been having to do a lot of water changes for one reason or another. I have been thinking about setting up a rain water collection system to use in my garden. I was wondering if I could use the rain water in my fish tanks. I was going to use plastic trash cans connected to the gutter down spouts. I could filter the water through a charcoal filter for the tanks. Good idea? Bad idea?

It would probably be ok. I have heard of people doing it before. It could be a bit of a gamble, but if you used carbon filtration, it would up your chances of success.

It might be better to just use the water from water changes to water the garden as well... that way the water isn't going to waste.

There was discussed here before and there were some good points made as well as info. I think it came down to not being a good idea to use rain water for your tank.

Not 100%. When I get a minute I'll try and look for it.

I would not use rain water personally but your geographical location will play a big part as well. Yes, you could filter it into usable water but when its all said and done then you might as well just pay for the water instead of the filters. Look at it this way. All the pollutants and nasty stuff put out by cars, factories, planes, etc linger around in the air and is absorbed into the clouds and falling rain. Think about acid rain for example, don't wanna put that in my fish tanks ;) .. you could however incorporate a nutrient export system on your tank with some house hold plants or aquatic plants prolonging water changes which means less water being used and less family bickering lol.

Thanks everyone for the input. I will check out that link and look for the other post on rain water. I already use the old tank water for plants. I plan on using it to water my seedlings too when I start them. I live in a very rural area. Our "city" water is pretty toxic so we don't drink it. Our water treatment crew is pathetic. The state took it over for awhile it got so bad. Of course they turned it over to them a couple of years later with the same results as before. We have to buy water to drink or heavily filter it. Go through a lot of filters. Plumbing goes bad fast. Everything corrodes super fast. I so miss the well we used to have even with the surfer and iron. Mines destroyed it though.
We do have several freshwater springs close by. We dug one out and used it during the tornado recovery last year. It just doesn't put out enough water to supply a house. I did make a pond out of one that the frogs and dogs enjoy.
Hopefully my tank will age soon and I won't have so many water changes to do. I keep changing things in my tank and messing things up to. Just cannot seem to be satisfied with my tank decor and keep changing it. I have had an algae and diatom problem for the last week. Paneria and limpet outbreak before. Too high nitrates. You name it.

In Pennsylvania I would have a tank of dead fish if I used rain water. Ever see the rain spots on a car after the rain has dried up? Lots of nasties in our lovely acid rain.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom