Rain Water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KASPER7513

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Can anyone advise on the use of rain water for topping off my tank as needed? Does it need treated? Etc...

I'm collecting in a 65 gallon rain barell. Nothing has been in it but rain water.

What type? I just setup a few myself. I wouldn't trust the material for long term holding. I'd test the water after initial rainfall with a tds meter than test barrel contents a couple weeks later.

It's a Heavy Plastic Barrel from Sams Club. It's made for collecting rain and has never had anything in it but rain water.

It's a Heavy Plastic Barrel from Sams Club. It's made for collecting rain and has never had anything in it but rain water.
Understood, plastics can leach undesirable "things" into the water. I'd test it before i trust it.

Is it connected to your downspout? I'd be concerned about contamination from the asphalt shingles on your roof.

I would be concerned about smog particles and use Prime to treat for heavy metals, and since a roof will accumulate lots of particles you may have a heavy load of pollutants if collecting off of a roof. Especially if there is a long perod of no rainfall, with evaporation if that is possible in the barrel condensing the "stuff". And with long period of no rainfall like the roof, more time to collect dust, so the initial amount would likely have the higher concentration.

Think about how dust can accumulate on your car in just a week.

If you live near manufacturing or other industry which has possible pollutants, or near highways /roadways where rubber dust is constantly kicked up.

Off of the roof I wouldn't collect for use personally in a fish tank, it would make me too concerned. Unless it was after a decent amount of rainfall would clean off of the roof and then I may. I would use that kind of water for watering the flower beds, and use better water for the tanks.

If it is collected in buckets or containers I would be less hesitant, being mindful of what you live near.

Back
Top Bottom