rainbow shark aggression

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

alLexX

Aquarium Advice Addict
ive been reading random threads,and read that if you have enough,you can get rainbow sharks to school,is this true?if so,how many do i need? how big of tank do i need?could i have rainbows and redtails?i think this would look really cool.

One rainbow needs 50 gallons I had 2 at one time in my 55 gallon and as they got older they started to fight each other, neither of them survived I didn't realize what was going on at the time. I recently got another one and it is perfectly happy.

Like... 300 gallons IMO. If you need 55 for one, you'd have to have enough space for them to spread out in case they don't school. I agree though... That'd look beast!

Rainbows look great but I wouldn't count on them schooling. Otherwise they are very peaceful, I did have a rainbow and a red tail but they would stay away from each other and chase one another from their side of the tank. I think they look better than bala sharks.

They will school in a large enough (20+) group, but they'll need a huge tank. In aquaria, they really are best kept singly. Red tails will not co-exist well at all in groups and shouldn't be mixed with rainbow. A single rainbow shark makes a much better "community" addition than a red tail IME.

They will school in a large enough (20+) group, but they'll need a huge tank. In aquaria, they really are best kept singly. Red tails will not co-exist well at all in groups and shouldn't be mixed with rainbow. A single rainbow shark makes a much better "community" addition than a red tail IME.
ok,i guess ill just keep my rainbow without other sharks.

They fool you since they act so peacefully when small.
not if you do your reasearch:)thankfully,when i got mine i didnt have room for a school,or id be rehoming some sharks.

Reactions: HN1
It's one of our most commonly warned against fish when people come in.. because they always want multiples and there's only so far you can go when it comes to telling them no. They try it and something bad usually happens. That would be pretty, though. :)

Khalix said:
It's one of our most commonly warned against fish when people come in.. because they always want multiples and there's only so far you can go when it comes to telling them no. They try it and something bad usually happens. That would be pretty, though. :)

Unfortunate people dont care about facts. I mean, you wouldnt sell a rabit and a 10' snake together unless the rabit was for food...pretty obvious. But when you are uneducated, in the sense, about the fish you are buying you should be told 'NO' if the knowledge is there. I guess the sad part is, it's just a fish, we can replace it tomorrow mantallity is all too common. If i felt that way about dogs or penguins I would be thought of pretty poorly.

Back
Top Bottom