Rainbow Shark and Apple Snails

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lotsofbabies

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hallo

My 1st question! Be sure tons will follow!

I have an octagonal 20l tank where Bruce (Rainbow Shark) resides. :fish1:With him I have two adult Apple Snails. He seems to be trying to attack the snails. Will he be able to harm them? I know he eats their babies and eggs and ANY other fish we try to introduce to the tank.

Any ideas?

:thanks:

Rainbow sharks need a 55g tank minimum. They are territorial and will protect 'there space' fiercely. What has happened is he has claimed the entire tank as his own. The tank is too small to allow anymore territories.

Oh ok, at least I've prevented my hubby from flushing Bruce down the toilet for being unsociable... LOL

I think he can live peaceful on his own in his own tank until the reaper fetches him. :)

Thanks

Oh ok, at least I've prevented my hubby from flushing Bruce down the toilet for being unsociable... LOL

I think he can live peaceful on his own in his own tank until the reaper fetches him. :)

Thanks

Problem is, he will not be happy and probably have a much earlier death in the small tank than he would if moved to the appropriate size.

I really reccomend getting at him at least a 20 gallon long if your wanting to keep Bruce alone if your not willing to do this rehome him.

20L is only a 5 gallon tank. Rule of thumb is 1 inch per gallon. Rainbow sharks can grow to over 6in.

Bruce, Rainbow Shark

As per our local pet shopS, Bruce is fine in his 25l tank (sorry, I made a 5l error :facepalm: ), and he is 12 years old already and about 8cm long... Would the rehoming not be more harmful at this stage? He's been alone for most of his 12 years and according to research they only live to be 15 years?

:confused:

Lotsofbabies said:
As per our local pet shopS, Bruce is fine in his 25l tank (sorry, I made a 5l error :facepalm: ), and he is 12 years old already and about 8cm long... Would the rehoming not be more harmful at this stage? He's been alone for most of his 12 years and according to research they only live to be 15 years?

:confused:

That's pet shops for you. According to them goldfish can live in bowls and bettas don't need heaters. Quite a lot of them are incorrectly informed, don't care or just want a sale. The beauty of AA is its full of knowledgeable, caring people that have your and your fishes best interest in mind. :) We will only tell you the truth!
It's never too late to upgrade tanks! Think about living in a one bedroom flat until you retire then moving into a mansion for your golden years.

"Think about living in a one bedroom flat until you retire then moving into a mansion for your golden years." - can tell you don't live in the uk, that's life! Except a mansion is maybe a two bed semi here. Lol. Agree in fishy terms however.

"Think about living in a one bedroom flat until you retire then moving into a mansion for your golden years." - can tell you don't live in the uk, that's life! Except a mansion is maybe a two bed semi here. Lol. Agree in fishy terms however.
:lol: yes, that's due to overpopulation of Earth... ;)

Thanks Mumma.of.two . The problem is that we do not have space for more tanks... Rehoming Bruce will break my heart, but seems to be the only humane thing to do... Where will I be able to do this?

I have a 3-bedroom house, but just as small as a flat....basically, and would never prefer a mansion = too much cleaning then... LOL

One local pet shop (where I do NOT go anymore), told me that Bruce needs friends and sold me 3 fish (can't remember type/species). Bruce was thankfully for the BIG meal... Hence his name: Bruce. ;)

Lotsofbabies said:
:lol: yes, that's due to overpopulation of Earth... ;)

Thanks Mumma.of.two . The problem is that we do not have space for more tanks... Rehoming Bruce will break my heart, but seems to be the only humane thing to do... Where will I be able to do this?

I have a 3-bedroom house, but just as small as a flat....basically, and would never prefer a mansion = too much cleaning then... LOL

One local pet shop (where I do NOT go anymore), told me that Bruce needs friends and sold me 3 fish (can't remember type/species). Bruce was thankfully for the BIG meal... Hence his name: Bruce. ;)

I know it's a tough choice. Even a tank twice or three times bigger is better then 25L. I got a 65L tank for $200 from petbarn chain store in town). It came with filter, heater, tank, stand and light. It's only 2 foot long and tucks into a corner easily. 2foots technically still too small but would work Imo.
Ultimately it's up to you. He's your fish and you must be doing something right if he's 12! I really do think he will do much better with more space though.
If you choose to rehome him you can give him to your LFS (maybe see if you can arrange for them to keep him in a display tank :)), advertise him on gumtree or traders mate or (if your post count and days joined is enough) post him on here.

Last edited:
Nomadu571 said:

Oops! Lol.

I know it's a tough choice. Even a tank twice or three times bigger is better then 25L. I got a 65L tank for $200 from petbarn. It came with filter, heater, tank, stand and light. It's only 2 foot long and tucks into a corner easily. Its technically still too small but would work Imo.
Ultimately it's up to you. He's your fish and you must be doing something right if he's 12! I really do think he will do much better with more space though.
If you choose to rehome him you can give him to your LFS (maybe see if you can arrange for them to keep him in a display tank :)), advertise him on gumtree or traders mate or (if your post count and days joined is enough) post him on here.

:thanks: , I'll have to make this hard decision soon...as I've heard they only live to 15 years... :(

How will I get myself not to think if he's ok all the time?? He's my oldest baby...then my doggies...then the guppies...then the snails...

:hide:

They can exceed their maximum age with high quality food, ample space, and tolerable tank mates. Some say Bettas can only live to 5yrs, but I kept one until he was 7yrs. Just think of how much happier he'll be in a larger tank. I know it must be hard as I've had to take some fish back to the store because of misinformation. It is all part of your journey to becoming a knowledgeable fish owner. (y)

They can exceed their maximum age with high quality food, ample space, and tolerable tank mates. Some say Bettas can only live to 5yrs, but I kept one until he was 7yrs. Just think of how much happier he'll be in a larger tank. I know it must be hard as I've had to take some fish back to the store because of misinformation. It is all part of your journey to becoming a knowledgeable fish owner. (y)

:thanks: , doesn't make it easier though. I'm such a softy when it comes to animals... Might just hit the shops and find him a bigger home... I hate these types of decisions... :blink:

Back
Top Bottom