Rainbowfish Question...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Flei

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I bought this "Australian Rainbow fish" at an LFS about a month ago. I have since found out that this is a very generic discription, and there a multitude of different types of Australian Rainbow fish (I just purchased 2 very different looking Western Australian Rainbows).

Does anybody know the specific type of Australian Rainbow fish that this is? The fish is a solid metallic gold with very small scales. The red coloring that appears in this image is due to a red LED light that I have in the tank.

BTW - this image is what happens when you cover the flash of my camera with your finger while trying to find which setting on your camera takes the least bad fish pics...

Attachments

• Who's Looking at Whom.jpg
    Who's Looking at Whom.jpg
    105.4 KB · Views: 80
Last edited:
Well, without a picture, I can't help.

Rainbow fish are interesting. If you are buying them from just a shop, you may not even be buying a specific strain. Fish get mixed together and then hybrids pop up. I have two "turquoise" rainbows that are mixed, for sure. So, you may or may not have a 100% one.

I bought this "Australian Rainbow fish" at an LFS about a month ago. I have since found out that this is a very generic discription, and there a multitude of different types of Australian Rainbow fish (I just purchased 2 very different looking Western Australian Rainbows).

Does anybody know the specific type of Australian Rainbow fish that this is? The fish is a solid metallic gold with very small scales. The red coloring that appears in this image is due to a red LED light that I have in the tank.

BTW - this image is what happens when you cover the flash of my camera with your finger while trying to find which setting on your camera takes the least bad fish pics...

I know what you mean, I've had several varieties of "australian rainbow fish" I think yours may be a what is called a Murray River rainbow. Mine were lake ktubu and boesmani. And how's it going in NC for you today? Cool enough?

Back
Top Bottom