Raising baby Octopi

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Nojo

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Greetings all,

I am a fairly experienced hobbyist that recently decided to take the plunge and keep a specimen tank housing an octopus. It turned out much better than expected, it has been a fantastic addition and has completely captivated not only myself but anyone that comes over to watch her.

Recently though I have noticed a change in her behavoir and was able to tell that I had purchased a pregnant octopus. I'm well researched on most of what is to happen next, but one thing I can't find out is on what to feed the octopi when they hatch. I know that she'll expire shortly after, and I know that frequent water changes and lowering the circulation is essential, but I have not got one conclusive answer on what, if anything, these guys will eat. I figure that if I can get even 1 to survive to adulthood then I've done an amazing job. I've tried posting on tonmo.com but have not got any response yet. If anyone can point me in the right direction, any and all help would be greatly appreciated.

Ok, well for one octopi is incorrect terminology and the correct plural is octopuses ;) What species of octopus?

I believe you are wrong on the plural form, my friend...but at any rate the exact species is not known. It was not available from either the LPS nor their distributor, which has caused a bit of grief to say the least. The best I can do is tell you that it is not a dwarf octopus and is much more inclined to be nocturnal unless it is VERY hungry. Trying to work on a quality photograph but as she spooks easily that has proven to be very hard to do, even 4 months after having her. And especially seeing as she has barricaded herself into a cave.

I'm trying to post the tank specifics on my signature but am not having any luck including anything other than a quote.

Octopi is Latin. Octopus is Greek in root; therefore, Octopuses is correct. Anywho, many octopus larvae can be reared from nauplii, copepods, amphipods, and very small shrimp. You will have to separate to avoid cannibalization and make sure you keep up on water changes :)

Small shrimp such as brine shrimp? I am not aware enough if the nutritional value (or lack thereof) is worth trying them out. I have heard vaguely of trying to hatch the frozen eggs you can get at a LPS but am still trying to research that to see if it's viable. Also, don't the 'pods hide in the live sand? I can get live pods at the LPS but was cautioned about doing so as they may not help feed at all.

Raising octopus is trying and expensive since live foods tend to often come into play. Nauplii as in artemia, freshly hatched. Also try cyclop-eeze, krill, mysis, fish roe, minced fish, etc.

You're very welcome. Watch your PO4, NH3, and provide strong water flow and you should be good. Keep an eye on the female as she won't last long after they hatch. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom