raising baby platys

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kathleen55

Aquarium Advice Freak
woke up this morning and found four baby platys :eek: ive already put them in the fish breeder but i need advice. ive been feeding them first bites by hikari. any tips greatly appreciated :)

If you don't have a separate tank to raise them then I'd suggest buying some decorations or plants so they have cover. If you do have a spare tank and a spare filter and seeded media you can transfer them in there and raise them on small brine shrimp. Good luck and congratulations! :)

i put them in an isolation container so they are seperate from the others i dont have a spare tank :/

I've always fed mine powdered flake food. Just make sure when you let them out that they're not going to fit in the adults mouths at all cuz they'll still try to eat them if they can.

Congrats, I'm waiting for my platy to give birth. As mentioned above, you can just feed them fine flake food, at least that is what I did with my baby guppies!

I put my fry into small tanks. In here there is mixed guppy and platy fry from last 14 days. I feed them crushed flakes. Put standard flakes into a bag and bash with a hammer until tiny particles. I also give them dried decapitated brine shrimp which they thrive on.

Attachments

• image-1768927209.jpg
    image-1768927209.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 100
okay thanks! i also read that you should clean out their isolation container. how would you do that?

I cleaned mine by putting the fry into a fish bowl for a few minutes while I cleaned out the container and then put the fry back in as soon as I was done.

if you don't wnat to bother going to the fish store to get food for the babys you can just take the fish food you give to your adult fish and take your fore finger and your thumb and rub the fish flakes between them and keep doing that till you have like powdery food hope this helped:):bb:

if you don't wnat to bother going to the fish store to get food for the babys you can just take the fish food you give to your adult fish and take your fore finger and your thumb and rub the fish flakes between them and keep doing that till you have like powdery food hope this helped:):bb:

thats exactly what i have always done, is the fry in the plastic breeder or the net one?????? i used to have the net one but i stop using it because my plecus used to suck on it and the fry that hanged on the bottom died

I use those hikari first bites too and they work fine. To clean out my breeding net, I personally use a fine mesh net and sweep out debris everyday. Thats all I do personally. You only need to use a small amount, so that package will last a long time. Once the fry are big enough to see more easily, I use the same tiny net to get them out and clean the "baby cage" better.

ohhh i dont like those cuz the plecos suck on them and if you have any fry tha hang at the bottom of it might end up dying thats what happened to me

Back
Top Bottom