Raising KH with Baking soda - How much do I use?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

countryfan05

Aquarium Advice Regular
So I posted about my PH dropping drastically and killing 10 fish in my 26 gal and got a lot of suggestions to add baking soda to raise my 0 KH up a bit. How much do I use? and how often? And when the kh is up do I stop adding the baking soda? I can't seem to find any good info on this. Thanks.

P.S. My PH is usually 6.4, it dropped and fish died, now it has spikes to 7.6, what the heck is that all about?

Thanks.

You may want to consider using crushed coral instead of baking soda. Baking soda does work, but you must dose it at every water change. With crushed coral, you just change out the bag every 6 months or so.

Regarding the spike, what is the pH out of your tap? Let a cup of water sit out over night and test the pH. Compare the two results.

big fan of crushed coral here too. lasts longer than baking soda and more reliable. i put 4 tbsp per 20 gal in a cut off bag made of old panty hose and either pop in the filter or under ornament to hide it. PH has been 7.5 ever since on 5 tanks with very soft water that drops to 5.0 PH without the coral.

Back
Top Bottom