Ram Dynamics in Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

177ichael

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hello all,

I just added 1 Male German Blue Ram to my tank with 2 females already in it. I am amazed at how the color brightened up on the females so much immediately after the male was added. I find that the dominant female is constantly chasing the other female around as well as the male. Do you all suggest taking the dominant female out? How can you tell when a pair has formed?

Thanks!

I'd leave em be for a while, unless the dominant female is beating the others up badly and causing damage. This way they can work out who is going to pair up IF there is going to be a pair. As for how to tell, with my Bolivians I knew when 2 of em colored up and started digging depressions. I'd watch your guys for color changes (obviously one of em is showing an interest ;) ) and see if they start cleaning off an area to lay eggs on. Are you sure of the sexes?

I am almost certain of the sexes. I bought the two females from a different store than the male. The females have bright pink bellies now that the male has been added. The male is extremely bright with light blue yellow, and black. the male shows no pink on the belly at all. The male also appears to be a bit larger than my females. I'm hoping he's not too old to pair up... I think the females are fairly young and are showing more color everyday. The ventral fins are also a bit longer on the assumed male in my tank. The dorsals are shaped a bit differently, but I don't notice a difference in the few rays of the dorsal being longer than the females that I've read about. Ever since introduction of the male, he has been hiding in the back most of the time and when he does come out the female will chase him back into hiding..

I'll try to snap some photos when I get the chance.

This is the best pic I can get of the little guy for now. Hopefully, after he gets more familiar with the tank, he'll come out more often.

4455Img_0044-med.jpg

Oh beautiful! I love dwarf cichlids of all kinds, but hold a special place in my heart for Bolivian and German rams.

Any live plants in the tank? The rams will thank you for em :)

No live plants in my tank... I've thought about changing to a live plant set-up eventually, but it will require significant efforts.. I'd have to change my substrate and look into other lighting alternatives. Plus, my knowledge on keeping live plants is limited.. I know that fertilizer is needed as well. I guess I could put my fish into a bucket and dig everything up. Any suggestions on how to go about converting to planted?

*grin* so sorry Enki...not ;)

And no need for a major production Michael! A coupla low light plants in a few clean ceramic flowerpots will provide live plants with a minimum of fuss.

Enki, You can thank alli for starting this.

She made me abandon my hopes and dreams of a SW tank in favor of a ram tank.

Shes pure evil I tell you! :p

Use low light plants that don't need a substrate like java moss and java fern.

If you just want a massively growing plant get some hornwort. In a little over 2wpg it has doubled in size in my tank after only 2 months. Of course with my low light I have to spread it out a bit or some of the lower parts turn a brownish green. All of the outside sections become very thick with growth though.

Right now I have one 15w flourescent in my light fixture with the option of putting the other bulb in to bring it to 30 watts total. I leave the other one out to minimize algae growth right now. With 30 watts, it would work out to be about .84 watts per gallon? Is this enough light for java moss or fern? Would I be able to just plant them directly into my substrate? Over time, I'm assuming I would have to add fertilizer. I'd love to get some live plants to take up some of the Nitrate buildup, but I don't want to keep plants unless I know how to allow them to thrive.

Java moss is said to grow even when completely shadowed by other plants so it might be fine with such little light. I don't know about java fern's lower light limits though. These plants should NOT be pushed into the substrate as they need the roots exposed (I don't really see roots on the java moss) to filter the minerals out of the water. If you have any rocks, driftwood, etc then attach the java moss or java fern to it with some thread. Over time the plant will attach itself to the object (unless it is something non porous like a plastic decoration then it might have more trouble).

Java moss is said to grow extremely slowly. I know with 2wpg and DIY CO2 the java fern grows pretty well so it might get by on such little light but I am still a novice in all aspects of this hobby.

Enki, You can thank alli for starting this.

She made me abandon my hopes and dreams of a SW tank in favor of a ram tank.
Shes pure evil I tell you! :p
[center:1022a87608]But who doesn't love rams??? And then…[/center:1022a87608]

For the first time, I saw shell dwellers yesterday. Is it possible that they are even cuter? I'm in love; they will be getting a home with me in the near future!

Back
Top Bottom