Rams

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Weedge

Aquarium Advice Regular
Am about to buy. 125 brand new tank I really think I'll make it a ram tank. Looking for advice and pictures and btw I wanna breed these guys. Please if you have pictures please let me see your rams. Tyvm.

Here is my pair of rams, they are just starting to colour up. Rams need a tank with lots of cover since are timid little fish. It is also recommended to add a school of some mellow fish, I have cardinal tetras, avoid fish that are hyperactive like danios. Having the school of fish swimming around will help convince the rams there is no danger present and hence they are more comfortable and active. Mine took a while to fully settle in but now they are comfortable they are constantly cruising around.

Here's my pair of rams when I first got them. The female has got a lot more colourful lately I will try take some recent pic's of them

Attachments

• image-2450644046.jpg
    image-2450644046.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 93
  • image-2858986943.jpg
    image-2858986943.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 95
  • image-535391533.jpg
    image-535391533.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 93
These are pictures of our male and female rams. They are one of my favorites.

Attachments

• image-2861134379.jpg
    image-2861134379.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 88
  • image-4070540550.jpg
    image-4070540550.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 80
Nu-Nu the eel said:
Mine died when i had him! :( how do h keep them alive?!?

Ive heard alot of people say they have a hard time keeping rams but I really don't think we've done anything different.. Our male and female actually went through the tank being cycled with them in there and they even did fine though that. I Feed them new life spectrum flakes twice a day and bloodworms once a day. It might be about just getting a healthy pair of rams and from a really good fish store.

Tyvm all who replied. Do you guys think I can put shoaling fish in with them?

Umm arent those agressive..? I wouldnt rick it with a ram because rams get stressed very easily and could die

Shoaling fish are not aggressive. The different kinds of Rasbora are all shoaling fish and would not grow much larger then 1.5-2 inches so I could add quite a few to a tank this big. But can't find our if the rams will be aggressive towards them.

It's actually recommended that you do add schooling fish. Rams are skittish, and it is claimed that having a schooling fish out and about gives them a feeling of security due to a lack of predators. I keep mine with 9 cardinal tetras, love the red and blue goes well with gbr's, and 5 panda cories. They all get along well. I keep them in a 29

Yes, but all small fish. It is recommended that the tank is also setup to provide lots of cover for the rams. I personally have loads of plants and Some
Driftwood setup to make a little cave. They need to have a spot to call home, especially if you want to breed them.

Does the driftwood cause water quality problems. I had read that it was not good for cichlids maybe I was wrong.

Oh i thot u ment shell dewlling chiclids! Haha those are agressive, and it makes ur water yellow if u dont soak it long enough, but the quality of the water is ok

Driftwood is actually good for rams as is softens the water and lowers ph. Having real plants is also good, once your tank is established the BB convert eerything to nitrates and the plants consume that which means cleaner water for your sensitive rams. Personally I stuck to low light easy care plants that don't require co2 but eventually I may add a co2 reactor.

Ya that makes sence. Its also good 4 chiclids. If u dont soak it long enough the yellow water will drive u crazy

? my LFS is pretty awesome, and both pieces cost me a total of 30 bucks. One is mopani and the other is Malaysian.

Back
Top Bottom