Randomly lost a guppy.. now I'm worried.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cubsfan85

Aquarium Advice Regular
My tank was cycled with 3 guppies. Once the cycle was complete I added 2 platies and a molly (too many too fast, I know) and it of course started the cycle over again. I've been doing PWC every day and everyone looked healthy and happy except one platy, who didn't swim much or eat since the day we brought him home (Petsmart). He died 3 days in, but we figured we probably got a sick fish from the store.

Everyone has been doing great, but today my bf got up and checked the tank and one of the guppies was dead. It's been over a week since the platy died and I have been checking the fish out for any physical abnormalities since, and they looked fine.

Do you think it could just be a coincidence, or could the platy have spread something to the other fish? The only fish disease I really know if is Ich, and I believe they get white spots on them from that... none of them do.

Is there anything I can really do besides wait and see if we lose any more? :(

You might not know this... But what did the dead fish look like? And where were they when you found the bodies? (like floating stuck in a plant, in the gravel, that kind of thing) I don't know much about illness other then ich. But it could have been ammonia poisoning if your cycle started over.

The platy was in a plant. The guppy was stuck to the filter. I disposed of both and I did look them over and could not see anything out of the ordinary.

Sent from my HTC Eris using Aquarium

I did do a 50% water change and I've kept the ammonia at .25 or less since the cycle restarted with daily PWC. Also using Prime. Not saying it couldn't be ammonia poisoning, but wanted to point that out.

Sent from my HTC Eris using Aquarium

Ok then. Keep watching your ammonia levels then and let every thing be for a while. Keep us posted and watch your tank closely for signs of illness.

What are your parameters?

PH, ammonia, nitrite, nitrate? That would help us help you.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium

Well your water looks good. Your fish might have died from stress. I've had fish I've bought in groups and then one die on me the next day and the rest be perfectly fine. I would watch your other fish for the next week and see if any abnormalities show up. If not I would say it was the stress from bringing him home.

As for the guppie, maybe the cycling process did a toll on him. I can't tell you about any sicknesses because I have yet to deal with any. Just watch the others and see if everything looks normal.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium

Well, everyone is still doing well. Active and eating like pigs! I'm only feeding a small amount once a day right now. No signs of any physical abnormalities.

I'm still doing 50% PWC daily. Today my test showed both Ammonia and Nitrite. First I had nitrite, then I was at zero, now I'm showing it again. :confused: My water has been been getting cloudy too, so I'm hoping that's a bacteria bloom.

Back
Top Bottom