Raphael Catfish...Your Experience?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
G

I just wanted to share my experience with the Raphael Catfish and hear from any other previous or current owners.

Ever since getting into the hobby I loved catfish. Many of them got ICH easily and many like the Red Tail Cat which I LOVE get way to big, and others could not live with my previous Oscar's.

I picked up my Striped Raphael Catfish for the first time for my Tiger Barb tank. For the first 3 months he sat under my driftwood and never moved during the day, nor would he eat in front of me at night. Eventually he got more comfortable and comes out the minute I drop a pellet in the tank for him.

Not only does he not bother anybody unless they invade his home under the driftwood, but he is a great looking fish. He harms none of my plants, and is a really exciting fish to watch eat! I swear he thinks the pellet is live the way he shakes his body until it is gone. They grow to about 8 1/2 " so it's not to bad. I feed him a pellet every 2 days plus I am sure he gets leftovers.

Anybody else love these fish, or maybe not? This is my first Raphael and I want to learn more about them.

I have a raphael also, i inherited it from my dads tank lol. I hardly see it at all unless the lights are out. Its probably the most shy fish i have ever had. But yes it IS very cool. Sometimes at night i can see it swimming around. It looks just like a shark sometimes, the way it swishes its tail all long and powerful. Not those quick little burst movements most fish have, know what i'm tallking about? Anyway, yeah i really like him.

I have a striped raphael catfish named felix. Although I rarely see him except at night. He is peaceful and once got himself stuck in a castle which I had to break apart to get him out.

lol, this is probably a really stupid question, but are they nocturnal or just shy? Like i said, i inherited it from my dad so i dont know, and until just now i hadnt considered the possobility.

Back
Top Bottom