Rapidled.com

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishfreak1

Aquarium Advice Freak
Has anyone ever heard of them and if you have what kit would you get for a 100 gallon tank?

I built a 36 led unit after their Black Friday sale. With a good controller there's a lot you can do to customize the lights to your liking. What are the dimensions of your tank?

48in wide 24in height 20 in depth( front to back) I'm just getting into the saltwater tanks and can't really spend more than 450 for lights and I was thinking of corals and maybe hard corals or sps and even soft corals. I couldn't find anything for that price that was made until I found this site but I don't know which kit to choose what do you think it's 100 gallons

The phrase 'just getting into saltwater' and corals (especially sps and many lps) usually don't go well together. My advice would be to research coral care while your tank matures. Let your sand and rock settle in and that will help keep your parameters stable, and when cyber Monday rolls around you'll know what you want to do about your lights. Nothing keeps corals alive and happy more than patience and knowledge. If you must stock corals in the near future start with softies.

I need help with the lights that are really good for my tank from rapid led and you tolled me to tell you the dimensions and I did and can you help me to choose which kit now

Sterling_salt said:
The phrase 'just getting into saltwater' and corals (especially sps and many lps) usually don't go well together. My advice would be to research coral care while your tank matures. Let your sand and rock settle in and that will help keep your parameters stable, and when cyber Monday rolls around you'll know what you want to do about your lights. Nothing keeps corals alive and happy more than patience and knowledge. If you must stock corals in the near future start with softies.

I agree with the above. A 100 gallon tank should IMO have in general about 200 watts of LED for softies, 300 or better for SPS. Lensing makes a big difference in penetration and PAR levels on the sand bed. 2, 3 or 4 watt LED emitters are all okay as long as the total wattage adds up to the minimum needed. Dimming drivers (PCM) are nice. It is up to you as to the mix of white and royal blue LEDs, I prefer 2/3 20K white and 1/3 royal blue (540nm). But many like the opposite, for a more blue florescent look.

The last light I built, there is a thread, used the new multi segmented LED chips that come in 5-100 watt sizes. My son used RapidLED on his build, but I tend to just order components as needed off of EBay.

Last edited:
I have ordered from RapidLED.com as well. I got components rather than a kit because I wanted to have my system custom to my needs.

I don't know what I would do for a 100g tank. I would probably push it up to 120-140 LEDs at 3w. I have a 40g breeder with 42 LEDs over it. 3w crees so 126w total. My growth is insane but the height of my tank is much less than 24".

I would be very interested in seeing what you come up with and decide to go with.

The guy I talked to recommended their solder less kit with 48 LEDs that are dimmable for 400 and something plus fan and heat rack or whatever it's name is for another 200 bucks

He said these LEDs are perfect for sps corals so ill order in about 2 months when I get my sump and tank made

Ill start of with 48 and about 4 months after the everything is done ill add another 24 so 72 altogether at about 3-5 watts each

Guys what water testing kit do you recommend? For a reef. I was thinking of nutrafin by Hagen

What lenses do u recommend me getting from rapidled.com ?

Back
Top Bottom