Rare Fish Advice Required

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cichlidsheaven

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi there,
I've setup a breeding business on central American and south American cichlids. So far I've got:
Breeding pair of red devil
Breeding pair of jack Dempsey
Pair of wild caught jack Dempsey
Few pairs of albino tiger oscars
2 pairs of tiger oscars
2 pair of buttikoferi talapia
Breeding pair of convict

I need advice on few rare fish that I can buy for my breeding business.
As I live in Uk so I want to breed rare stuff.

Please leave your valuable comment as I always appreciate.

Those are very common here so not sure what's rare over there. I would start looking Trimacs, Festae, Honduran Red Points, Vieja , Blackbelts, and some Buti's.

I've got a breeding pair of oscars and HRP's, with 7 Trimacs and 11 Festae, and 5 Jags in grow out tanks. Waiting for the pair, since Festae and Trimacs will command some coin.

If your looking to make money it's not in SA/CA, it's African peacocks here. I can sell peacocks all day due to their color and size by the heavy hitters down south require large tank which cuts the aquarist world by 70%.

And it your really in it money then just stop because youll hate every miniute of it. I truly enjoy fish, in fish tanks, at the lake in my boats livewell, and after along day at the lake in my frying pan for shore lunch.

Last edited:
HUKIT said:
Those are very common here so not sure what's rare over there. I would start looking Trimacs, Festae, Honduran Red Points, Vieja , Blackbelts, and some Buti's.

I've got a breeding pair of oscars and HRP's, with 7 Trimacs and 11 Festae, and 5 Jags in grow out tanks.

If your looking to make money it's not in SA/CA, it's African peacocks here. I can sell peacocks all day due to their color and size by the heavy hitters down south require large tank which cuts the aquarist world by 70%.

I've some peacock bass but they are only 3inches. It's good money on bass even in Uk but don't know if it's something you can breed in a tank.

What I've got so far they are too common so that's why I want to have some rare collection too. I'm looking forward to the wild jack Dempseys that I got cos their tank life is only 6month and not many people got wild jacks here.

I'm after some electric blue jacks but way too hard to find.

I can get electric blues but I am on the other side of the world lol and i dont know if they would make it

Don't really want to risk it and couldn't offer a no doa beings I would be getting from a local pet store

International shipping fish would be a issue though customs. Whenever I ship fish
I try to overnight or USPS PRIORITY to ensure the fish are swimming when they arrive, so
I can't immagine how that would work even with the breathable bags I use.

Last edited:
HUKIT said:
International shipping fish would be a issue though customs. When ship fish
I try to overnight or USPS PRIORITY to ensure fish swimming, so
I can't immagine how that would work even with the breathable bags I use.

It's not easy to get the fish out of custom. You need a pet shop licence. And that is costy and second of all that means you have to register and pay vat and tax! It's not worth to take that much risk when I'm doing only small time.

I'm just gonna try to find some rare cichlids in Uk but gonna be tough.

Back
Top Bottom