Rare fish with popeye! diagnosis and cure ASAP

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Blue_Hydra

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello everyone, sorry this is my debut, but i need some help
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
i recently added four spotted climbing perch to a heavily planted 10 gal aquarium. they were added in pairs over a span of two weeks (2 per week). of the later two, one i found dead of mysterious causes, and the other has developed a pronounced popeye, which i need to cure. i also need to detrimine whether im dealing with a simple infection, or something as serious as TB
the fish in question is not eating, and one eye is very distended. there is no sign of any external lesions, infections, or tumors. breathing at an elevated rate than his fellow perch. still swimming, but listlessly.

so, background info
as i said, the 10gal tank is heavily planted, and is well filtered by an eheim canister filter and a mini peguin external filter (using mechanical and bio filtrilation only). its well established (4+ years) and has a sand bottom. tank inhabitants are
1 med albino angel 2 inches long
2 african butterfly fish 1-1.5 inches long
6 popsicle tetras 1 or less inches long
6 horse-faced loaches (botia) 1.5 inches long
3 spotted climbing perch *one of which has popeye* each 1 inches long
6 freshwater flounders each about the size of a nickle

regular water changes, (45-50 percent weekly), temp mid-70s (f)

when i bought the last pair of perch, the dealer tank also contained pearl gouramis, one of which was dead, floating at the top. the perch looked stressed and slightly malnourished. the only reason i went ahead and got them is that they are quite rare.

Well, the main problem is that a) You bought what was probably already a sick fish and b) Your tank is *massively* overstocked.

Can you give Ammonia, Nitrite, and Nitrate readings? Having a heavily planted tank with lots of filtration doesn't mean your water is going to be perfect. If you bought a sick fish from the dealer you should have quarantined it. A 2g with a heater and mini-filter would have sufficed. If you can quarantine the perch now, it is a very good idea. Even if a fish is rare it doesn't mean you should buy the first one you come across. It does not sound like a reputable dealer if they would sell you a fish out of a tank with dead fish floating around in it.

[center:88437261d0] Welcome to AA, Blue_Hydra!! :n00b: [/center:88437261d0]
Well, it sounds like the fish were ill to start with. QT it right away (there is an article on QT tanks in the articles section).
Although your tank is overstocked, you are keeping on top of the water changes and that is why you have probably had success over the past 4+ years.
These may help--
Freshwater Diagnostic Charts:
http://www.aquatronicsonline.com/hobbyist/hobbyist3.htm
http://www.clubjungle.com/fish_chart.pdf

I sympathize with you--having numerous impulsively bought fish. This would also explain my 6 tanks :roll:

Thank you for your help.
i know i'd overstocked the tank, but the eheim filter on it is rated for 50+ gallons, and its virtually a jungle in there, so i figured i'd be ok with that many as long as i had water changes frequently.

so i gave the store back the one perch (its a warehouse, so i get cheaper prices, but lower...ah...quality occasionally.)

i got rid of 3 popsicle tetras, and im watching the tank carefully

Back
Top Bottom