Rate my tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Only200

Aquarium Advice Regular
Think I'm doing ok with my tank other then they keep uprooting my plants I have a actinic bulb for night lighting tell me how I'm doing

Attachments

• image-2060557871.jpg
    image-2060557871.jpg
    119.2 KB · Views: 206
  • image-3713975310.jpg
    image-3713975310.jpg
    116 KB · Views: 200
  • image-2621947353.jpg
    image-2621947353.jpg
    136.8 KB · Views: 202
  • image-2211797715.jpg
    image-2211797715.jpg
    140.2 KB · Views: 194
  • image-1046205472.jpg
    image-1046205472.jpg
    143.7 KB · Views: 189
  • image-3011115806.jpg
    image-3011115806.jpg
    143.9 KB · Views: 194
  • image-1941561026.jpg
    image-1941561026.jpg
    114.4 KB · Views: 189
  • image-269794999.jpg
    image-269794999.jpg
    145.9 KB · Views: 182
  • image-1640783911.jpg
    image-1640783911.jpg
    108.6 KB · Views: 184
It looks great! If you could keep the fish from uprooting them, I think some taller plants in the background would do nicely. But even without them, the tank looks good :)

FYI - the green/white striped plants you have are not an aquatic plant. It is called dracaena. Expect it to rot out sooner rather than later. Sorry.....

Tank looks great, though.

Looks great!!! I'd put some black construction paper as a background.. Looks cool and very inexpensive. Nice job!!

Tank looks good, but a few things to be aware of for the future:

1.Although your rocks look good I'm not sure if iT is enough to create enough hiding place and territories when you fish grow? Not a major issue now and I could be wrong, it's hard to tell from the pic.

2. It looked like you have some bigger south American cichlids in there,, looked kinda like an oscar? not only to they require different diets but there could be trouble ahead . Depending on the individual personalities of your fish

3. Looks like you have a frontosa in your tank. I could be wrong and it's a tretocephalus. If it is a frontosa these come from lake tanganyika not Malawi like your other fish. Also they are piscovores so only eat fish, they require large swimming space and fully grown can reach 15 inches, and will eat any fish smaller than 4 inches. They are slow to eat and maybe out compete for food by your other fish.

What you do with this information is up to you. But I would recommend looking into rehoming the south American cichlids and you frontosa . If you choose to keep them find out for sure what they are and do your homework on them to research their requirements .

Good luck

Wow I knew the frontosa got big but I didn't know they only ate fish I'm feeding them all blood worms now is that ok? When the frontosa get bigger I will move them to one of my other tanks and there's no oscars I think your talking about the blood parrots they are only there cuz my wife had to have them don't know anything about them don't like them either and with the rock I'm trying to find a better place to buy them the rock that's cost me 120 I wasn't happy with what I got so looking for new places to buy I have 50 pounds now and thinking I need about 150 with the back ground I've gone back and forth most of them are tacky I have some black plastic might see what it will look like thanks for the advise if you have any more I'd love to hear it and do you have any info on blood parrots thanks

They will eat pellets,shrimp,bloodworm ect,massivore is a good choice for big cichlids,but you may encounter probs,how big is the tank?

Stop feeding the whole tank blood worms, chances are your Mbuna will get Malawi Bloat and die if you continue . You're Mbuna need to be fed a low protein diet, most of them actually only eat aufwuchs and other micro fauna found on rocks. I suggest switching to a high quality pellet like NLS or Omega one.

While your tank looks good you should have researched the fish you were going to stock it with allot more carefully.

It's a 75 but I also have. A 55 and a 50 so if I need to later I can separate untell I buy a bigger tank I'm shooting for a 250 if I can find one in my area

Only200 said:
Wow I knew the frontosa got big but I didn't know they only ate fish I'm feeding them all blood worms now is that ok? When the frontosa get bigger I will move them to one of my other tanks and there's no oscars I think your talking about the blood parrots they are only there cuz my wife had to have them don't know anything about them don't like them either and with the rock I'm trying to find a better place to buy them the rock that's cost me 120 I wasn't happy with what I got so looking for new places to buy I have 50 pounds now and thinking I need about 150 with the back ground I've gone back and forth most of them are tacky I have some black plastic might see what it will look like thanks for the advise if you have any more I'd love to hear it and do you have any info on blood parrots thanks

Be careful feeding blood worm malawi' cichlids can suffer from Malawi bloat because of feeding blood worm, have a look online for Malawi bloat for more information. I feed my frontosa white bait , uncooked prawns, mysis uncooked mussles live ghost shrimp. My malawi's I feed a selection of flake and pellet foods, I treat them now and again with mysis, daphnia , spinach, seaweed cucumber,. They can also eat ghost shrimp as they are not too heavy in protein.

Not too sure about blood parrots, as far as I'm aware they are a man made hybrid, but are south American in class. They are ok to feed blood worm to. But you would be better to go online and see what you can find out.

Also although not essential frontosa do better In a group. You can keep some fronts, with calvus I think fairy cichlid, but not tropheus..

Your tank looks great tho. Please don't think I'm criticising, just giving you some hopefully helpful advice.

Good luck

I've been giving them the blood worms every three days and flakes on the other days when I gave them pellets they didn't really eat them

Only200 said:
I've been giving them the blood worms every three days and flakes on the other days when I gave them pellets they didn't really eat them

Blood worms should be a rare treat for Malawi cichlids. What type of pellets? I feed a mix of hikari and nls and they love them.

It's just Africa cichlid pellets from petco nothing special I don't even know where to get the pellets everyone's mentioned maybe I'm not as good with aquariums as I thought I was. Thank you all for the info I am taking it all and going to put it in affect so if you can tell me which fish do I need to rehome and what steps I need to take toile my tank better I know I'm over stocked (I was trying to lower aggression with numbers) and I'm looking for more rock and I'll give them blood worms like once a month if that's ok( just to get them gone) thank you all if you have any more advise I will glady take it

Your blood parrot will turn orange eventually.. I love mine

Attachments

• image-4096675161.jpg
    image-4096675161.jpg
    151.9 KB · Views: 86
Loudog21 said:
Your blood parrot will turn orange eventually.. I love mine

I love mine too ^_^ they're so cute! Especially when they kiss!

image-2800286955.jpg

image-3441602005.jpg

image-3369525109.jpg

Attachments

• image-3747339824.jpg
    image-3747339824.jpg
    128.5 KB · Views: 73
Back
Top Bottom