Rather strange suggestion- an AA fish show!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

emerald76

Aquarium Advice Addict
Many of us here at AA have gorgeous fish that we would all love to see win a ribbon (real or pixelated). So why not have an online fish show? Different categories and then a best in show for freshwater and one for the salties out there! We just enter a photo of our fish and have someone judge, perhaps on a volunteer basis. I think this would be a fun way to introduce new members into the fold and all gain an appreciation of everyone's stunning fish! Also feel free to correct my categories below, I'm no expert.
Here are my suggestions for categories-
FRESHWATER
African Cichlids
-lake Malawi
-lake Tanganyika
-lake Victoria

African Fish
-Catfish
-Other

SA/CA Cichlids
-Discus
-angelfish
-Dwarf Cichlids
-Large SA cichlids
-Large CA cichlids

SA/CA Fish
-Guppies
-Other livebearers
-cories
-plecos
-other suckermouth catfish
-other catfish
-tetras
-other "oddballs"

Asian Fish
-Bettas
-gourami
-small schooling fish
-other

Goldfish
I've no clue on types of goldfish

Natives
-minnows
-bass
-sunfish
-catfish
-other

I've no clue on marines, sorry guys!

I hope everyone enjoys this and accepts it!
Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Many of us here at AA have gorgeous fish that we would all love to see win a ribbon (real or pixelated). So why not have an online fish show? Different categories and then a best in show for freshwater and one for the salties out there! We just enter a photo of our fish and have someone judge, perhaps on a volunteer basis. I think this would be a fun way to introduce new members into the fold and all gain an appreciation of everyone's stunning fish! Also feel free to correct my categories below, I'm no expert.
Here are my suggestions for categories-
FRESHWATER
African Cichlids
-lake Malawi
-lake Tanganyika
-lake Victoria

African Fish
-Catfish
-Other

SA/CA Cichlids
-Discus
-angelfish
-Dwarf Cichlids
-Large SA cichlids
-Large CA cichlids

SA/CA Fish
-Guppies
-Other livebearers
-cories
-plecos
-other suckermouth catfish
-other catfish
-tetras
-other "oddballs"

Asian Fish
-Bettas
-gourami
-small schooling fish
-other

Goldfish
I've no clue on types of goldfish

Natives
-minnows
-bass
-sunfish
-catfish
-other

I've no clue on marines, sorry guys!

I hope everyone enjoys this and accepts it!
Thanks!

Maybe narrow it down to
African cichlids
SA/CA cichlids
Livebearers
Catfish
Oddball
Goldfish/koi
Natives
Labyrinth
Tetras/barbs/rasboras/ schooler cyprinid type fish
Coral
Anemones/polyps
Whatever major saltwater categories

Fishobsessed7

Sounds good!

I feel what you're saying but it is also more specific- I could win potm with plant or coral shots

And we could set it up like a dog show! Have it be a live event and we can have best of breed and then honorable mentions etc and then have the individual winner.

We need to establish rules. Like only one fish per category. So if you have 10 types of tetras, you can only submit one picture of tetra. If you also had a African cichlid you could submit ONE their as well. It gives everyone a fair chance for each category.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

Unfortunately it is Unlikely that it will be become a actual contest like POTM. It could become a contest that members run. Similar to the guess that specie thread

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm gonna ask some of the mods and see who I need to talk to about the idea. I think it's a really best idea!

Hey all,
Thanks so much for the support! Sorry I dropped off the face of the earth for a while there, I've had puppies and foals and horses (oh my!) getting hurt, being born, refusing to be house trained, etc. I'll try to see what I can do to make this happen though.

Delivered via owl
Ministry of Magic

I asked one of the mods who talked to the people higher up. The idea was reviewed and unfortunately declined but we are allowed to do a unofficial AA Fish show! We can make a poll to determine the winners. I'm trying to figure out how we could do an actual poll with bubble in answers etc. I don't know if it's possible though.

Ok so I'm going to start a completely new thread for everyone who is interested in participating. Its going to be kind of like the sign up thread. This way we will know who wants to be in it and who has agreed to the rules. This might get a little hairy if people don't follow a few easy rules. These rules are a given but here they are:

• Everyone has the right to enter their fish so don't criticize anyone for doing so.

• NO ONE WILL BE MEAN TO SOMEONE IF THEY LOSE!

• if you have an issue with the way we run it please don't get upset. Feel free to post on this thread and not the actual competition thread if you have a suggestion or request. This way we stay focused on the competition itself and not side topics.

• keep it rated "G"! Believe it or not lots of kids go on AA. And I'm sure their parents do not want them learning bad habits or seeing inappropriate language being used.

• last but not least have fun But not at the expense of someone else. A lot of people breed these animals for several years and work very hard to get good breeding lines and it just wouldn't be fair for you to say anything bad about someone's fish.

I hope I am being reasonable but I know you all will follow the rules because AA is the best aquaria forum around right?!

Great job.

I still think you should split it up into 5 categories. If we are talking specifically freshwater.

-scaleless--- this includes pleco's, catfish, loaches, eels, and bichir.

-schooling--- any tetras, danios, barbs, Rainbowfish, etc.

-invertebrates--- shrimp, snails, crayfish, etc.

-cichlids--- self explanatory, Africans, South American etc

-oddballs--- rare oddballs or extra large fish like arowana, RTC, pacu, Rays.

Caleb

Back
Top Bottom