RCS Parameters

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BettaGal

Aquarium Advice Addict
I just tested the water in my RCS tank for ammonia. I just added some black sand from the main tank last night, and the main tank has had some ammonia issues throughout its life. Now that it finally cycled, the ammonia is gone, except for the occasional .5 reading I may get. It used to get up to 4 or even 8 if I didn't do at least 1 50% water change a day. I wanted to make sure I didn't accidentally nasty up my RCS water bringing over some sand. It read .25 ammonia. I do plan on doing a small water change here in a while, but I just wanna check with all you guys here. How high of ammonia is considered must do urgent water change for RCS?

Temp is 78 based on a stick on thermometer so maybe slightly off. I can test the pH real quick. I knew 0 was ideal, but they didn't return to red as fast as I thought they would, so I checked ammonia. I thought they were more sensitive to it than fish, but I don't know where to say instant massive water change needed, like I did when my 10 gallon fish tank went to 8 ppm ammonia.

My pH is 7.6 which is normal. Temp is 78. Ammonia is .25 ppm. Warning or emergent? Lol.

those levels don't mean instant death, but with shrimp everything may look okay and the next day you wake up to a tank of dead creatures.

as of right now we see the current levels are not affecting them noticeably, so this would be a relatively safe maximum level. Just do sizable water changes anytime they get higher.

So .25 is ok, any higher and big water change? Would nitrite and nitrate be the same? About half tolerance for fish?

It's a good practice. Higher levels may be totally fine but you also gamble with a total wipeout. Nitrite can be just as toxic but can also be easily remediated with a small bit of salt.

Nitrates are far less toxic and most people maintain a maximum level of around 20ppm.

Back
Top Bottom