Re - occuring Fin rot? (Getting Angry Here)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Woah...I was out of the loop for a while..I can't believe this is still happening! I'm so sorry :( You must be crazy frustrated by now!! Saltypuppy I would try salt. I'd slowly work up to 1tsp per gallon and try it for 10 days.

I am going to try it one one of them and see how it goes. I am so fustrated its not even funny,

If you are talking about the Jungle brand stuff, there are several places online that carry it. Petsmart has it in their stores, also, it's with the medications and not with the fish food.

I've got a bottle of it around here somewhere, I tried it a few times but couldn't some fish to eat it.

Petsmart didn't carry it in stores. :( I will have to look around. Money is tight, sooooo yuh. I need to find a good deal.

Petsmart didn't carry it in stores. :( I will have to look around. Money is tight, sooooo yuh. I need to find a good deal.
Maybe ours are different, IDK. Did you ask them? I didn't run across it till I was browsing the medications one day, it's in a bottle but its wrapped in hard plastic and hanging rather than sitting on a shelf.

Maybe ours are different, IDK. Did you ask them? I didn't run across it till I was browsing the medications one day, it's in a bottle but its wrapped in hard plastic and hanging rather than sitting on a shelf.

I looked and asked. They said thet didn't carry it and to look at Petco. They didn't have it either. But I think they had the spectrum food...

I tried salt a couple of days ago. It seems the edges of his fins have smoothed and that he has regained color... so what do you guys think of that?

I tried salt a couple of days ago. It seems the edges of his fins have smoothed and that he has regained color... so what do you guys think of that?

Salt can cure a lot of fish problems. I'd say that if you are getting results and he seems to be improving in overall health, then continue with the salt. The food is still an option, but don't use any other medications than the food with the salt.

Salt can cure a lot of fish problems. I'd say that if you are getting results and he seems to be improving in overall health, then continue with the salt. The food is still an option, but don't use any other medications than the food with the salt.
Ok I will continue for ten days and just see.

Alright so new news. -

The fish that has the really bad rot regained his color and did a good amount of healing when he was in salt. So My question is... when can I give him salt again? I gave it to him for ten days at a dose of one tsp. Per gallon...

The fish that had a little damage got really bad. He is down to 1/5 of his fin. When I saw he was starting to loose fin I started changing 50 % of the water out everyday. I did a through cleaning and his tail kept rotting. So he is seperated and being treated with salt. But it doesn't seem to be getting any better and its day 4. So should I get that food for him? Or go pick up some meds? He is bad but I can't get out of the house for the nezt fews days due to the weather...

Oh of my fish has clearish / white edges all along his fins. Is this anything to worry about?

If you are still having the problems, I think you should continue salt treatments. It seems to be the only thing that has worked well so far. Keep an eye on your water parameters as well and keep the tank clean.

The white growth's along the edge should be the fins growing back. That is normal and what I've always seen when fins are healing.

If you are still having the problems, I think you should continue salt treatments. It seems to be the only thing that has worked well so far. Keep an eye on your water parameters as well and keep the tank clean.

The white growth's along the edge should be the fins growing back. That is normal and what I've always seen when fins are healing.

But what about the whole kidney failure when it goes past ten days... should I give them a week long break and continue then?

Well the one that has the white edges all they way around is the one with really minor damage. The one that I haven't even worried about medicating.

I actually seperated them to medicate them so I could keep the water as clean as possible.

So when can I resume salt then? Also it appears that one of them has been biting himself the whole time! I finally caught him.
:mad: But the one still have rot for sure. He was really awful yesterday... but it appears today that he has regained some color and possibly had some regrowth, but its hard to tell as he is so light colored...

Is there any actual documentation on that kidney thing? Not that I think it's impossible, but a claim like that should have plenty of documentation since it requires quite a bit of work to reach that conclusion.

It sounds like there's some change anyhow, which is good.

Is there any actual documentation on that kidney thing? Not that I think it's impossible, but a claim like that should have plenty of documentation since it requires quite a bit of work to reach that conclusion.

It sounds like there's some change anyhow, which is good.

I have no idea. I have just heard it from many people. But then I also here about people who keep salt in their tanks all the time. So I have no idea. :p But yes it seems it has gotten a bit better.

I learned about the salt/kidney thing from a lady who has been breeding bettas for 30+ years.
It sounds like the salt is working for one, but not the other.
When my bettas were regrowing their fins, it was clear, not white.

I learned about the salt/kidney thing from a lady who has been breeding bettas for 30+ years.
It sounds like the salt is working for one, but not the other.
When my bettas were regrowing their fins, it was clear, not white.

Ohh i see. Well it is a clearish white, it doesn't look fuzzy or anything.

Here is the situation. I think I am going to have to start calling them by name -

New boy (No Name Yet) - Clearish / white edges with minor damage that doesn't seem to be changing. (No Medication)

Apollo (Just got off Salt) - Healing, but it appears he has been a tail biter all along. I caught him in the act.

Bonquiqui - Healthy Female (No Medication)

Blue Boy - (Salt Right now) Awful rot that progressed and ate up 4/5ths of his fin in a week. He has dark edges, loss of color, and has gotten a bit lazier. But he is now on day 7 of treatment and it appears he has had some re-growth, and he gained color and he seems to be more active.

There that might be a better breakdown of the situation. So should I get new pictures? :O

img_1460242_0_bcfbe90e04f3d8e8937a292bbabc6a56.jpg

New Boy -Can I treat that damage with some salt? It appears clean water isn't helping at all. But it hasn't been getting worse either. Upon closer inspection I think the edges of his fins are just a very light blue - Not white. What do you guys think? Should I treat him? Or is he fine?

Last edited:
img_1460244_0_13cc426dbcf6b03114ac87d68f5f5b24.jpg

Apollo - This is my awful boy who just got off the salt. He has had a lot of regrowth - Even though it didn't show here very well. I did catch him in the act chewing his tail fin. So bleh. Also Is it bad to keep him in a bowl? He blew his first bubble nest and seems so happy. <3 Is it possible he had to much space?

img_1460246_0_271bfb0f240c99fdb12a9071312b204b.jpg

Bonquiqui - This is my crazy little girl. All seems to be well with her. She's a tough gal. :) I love her!

Back
Top Bottom