Ready to add

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GoneFishing

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have had my tank setup for 6-8 months now, I have lost some fish due to stupidity and swapping filter media all at once (never again). My question now is what to add? A run down of my setup.. I have a 30L tank, hob filter with fiber media, sand for substrate, live plants (3 amazon swords for now but gonna order plant pack from foster & smith). My livestock consists of 4 fancy guppies ( started with 6) and one cory cat ( started with 2) I know the cories are schooling or better term grouping fish so I will be getting 5 more of these, 4 more guppies and a rubber lip pleco. I won't be adding all at once probably start with the plants and let it sit for a few weeks. Then ill get the pleco to help me keep the tank clean. Then the cories and finally the guppies. My question is ( I have done the math) I will be over my 1" of fish per gallon rule, does it matter if they are different lvl swimmers?. For example, the guppies are mid to top swimmers while the cory and pleco are bottom. Will I be ok with this stock list? Also one more question.. should glass shrimp be on my list or will they just do more harm than good? Since they get aggressive and territorial as they age. Thanks for the help!

haha ok the so you have PLENTY of room for those fish even more look at my stocking for a 29 (it's a little overstocked but just a little)
8-guppies,
1-blue ram cichlid,
1-dwarf gourami,
1-albio bristlenose pleco,
6-ghost shrimp,
8-juli corys

haha ok the so you have PLENTY of room for those fish even more look at my stocking for a 29 (it's a little overstocked but just a little)
8-guppies,
1-blue ram cichlid,
1-dwarf gourami,
1-albio bristlenose pleco,
6-ghost shrimp,
8-juli corys

sweet.. do you see any issues with the fish listed?

GoneFishing said:
sweet.. do you see any issues with the fish listed?

The German Blue Rams require warmer water than the rest, but I've got one in my community tank now at around 77-78. The rams will also potentially munch on shrimp. You want to make sure the GBR is tank raised so it can handle different water parameters. They can also be super delicate...so if you're not super diligent with your levels they're either gonna go belly up or not display their colors well.

What's your pH?

Bolivian Rams might be a safer choice and color up nicely with age.

Yeah, I just saw in another thread you've got a pretty good knowledge of them. Mine is doing good, but he's only been in about 48 hours. I kind of wish I'd gotten a Bolivian though because they grow a bit larger and can better serve as a centerpiece fish.

The more I research, the GBR's do fine with adapting, but if the conditions (low pH, soft water, etc...) aren't ideal they won't have as beautiful of colors.

If it's a toss up between the 2, I'd just go with Bolivian to be safe. Better to not take risks if you're not that pressed between the two.

Hey guys good info but you shouldn't be jacking the OP's thread. Gone fishing I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure a rubber lip will get too big for a 30 Gal you might want to check into that because I think they grow to about a foot or so. I would go with a bristlenose instead I think they stay around 4". But I could be wrong.

haha soryy rubberlips can grow up to 10 inches but usually stay in the 6 inch range but yea id do an albino bristlenose if i were u

haha soryy rubberlips can grow up to 10 inches but usually stay in the 6 inch range but yea id do an albino bristlenose if i were u

I thought they got 10" max.. my choice for this is, it would be a nice contrast to my black sandbed.. and I'm not sure my lfs has those, might have to see whats on f&s

i think it'd work and ppl have told me i could have one in a 29 gallon so i think it'd work but make sure they dont have bristlenose first

I'll look, just curious though, why did you suggest the bristlenose? For the fact that they stay small?

Back
Top Bottom