Really need help and very new to fish tanks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

abraven21

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I would like to find out if how I'm doing my tank and how I'm stocking it will work. I have had the tank about 4 days added 2 sunset fire platys in the tank to start my cycle. I found out about how to do a fish less cycle a little 2 late. I do have a api master testing kit and do water changes about 20 percent every day or so. So I have a 29 gal led lighting and a heater keep tank about 79 to 80 and have a 200 penguin bio wheel filter. I want to add about 2 dwarf frogs, 4 glo fish and 3 ghost shrimp and 1 mystery snail. Is that to much or would that work and will add after my cycle. So I don't start killing fish. Please if anyone could help and give tips or ideas would love them. Very new to fish tanks and have never had them. I have done bearded dragons. I also like the ghost catfish but think I might over crowd my tank.

I would like to find out if how I'm doing my tank and how I'm stocking it will work. I have had the tank about 4 days added 2 sunset fire platys in the tank to start my cycle. I found out about how to do a fish less cycle a little 2 late. I do have a api master testing kit and do water changes about 20 percent every day or so. So I have a 29 gal led lighting and a heater keep tank about 79 to 80 and have a 200 penguin bio wheel filter. I want to add about 2 dwarf frogs, 4 glo fish and 3 ghost shrimp and 1 mystery snail. Is that to much or would that work and will add after my cycle. So I don't start killing fish. Please if anyone could help and give tips or ideas would love them. Very new to fish tanks and have never had them. I have done bearded dragons. I also like the ghost catfish but think I might over crowd my tank.

You need to wait till the cycle is over, don't do too many water changes as the filter needs to mature and the more new water the longer its going to take, I would just change 20% every 5 days. Just remember that the best way too add fish too a tank is a few at the time as the bio load on the filter will need to catch up. Also if you would like too speed up the process but some nitrifying bacteria from the store and that would help.

Look up fish in cycling and keep an eye on ammonia levels

I have tried looking up about cycling and test my ammonia daily, I read a lot say you need to change your water every other day, so really that's bad to do? And I have 2 fish now should I add a few more in about a week or 2 and let the tank keep up with that then kind of repeat the process. Till my tank is stocked?

Sent from my SM-N900V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Thanks for the link will come in handy

Sent from my SM-N900V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

On this board, we teach fish-in cycling in this way:
I just learned about cycling but I already have fish. What now?! - Aquarium Advice

We promote very frequent water changes and keeping the total ammonia and/or nitrite low to prevent any stress or harm to your animals.

We don't advocate infrequent water changes or any particular set schedule. Let your test results dictate your water changes.

Ask any and all questions.

Back
Top Bottom