reason 4 my Rainford Goby's death?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jonathan G.

Aquarium Advice Freak
i added a goby about 3 weeks ago everything was going good and just the other day he just keeled over and died. he was fine one day then he started swimming real close to the substrate then he hid in a rock for a few days then when i picked up the rock to look for him he floated out and was barely alive but died the next day.

Can you describe the physical condition of the fish, species and how it was introduced/housed?

Cheers
Steve

he was in my lfs tank for a while before i bought him, about 3 months... i've been watching the fish since i set up my tank in feb and the tank it was in was barebottom. i have no reason why he would die but he was doing great for about 2 weeks, all my params are in check, and he was eating prepared foods and sifting through the sand bed

Not much info there to suggest a problem, no adverse physical signs at all?

Given the type of fish, the only thing I could possibley think of is starvation, especially if housed in a bare bottom tank for too long. With these types of sandsifting fish even though they accept prepared foods they will not always get the right nutrition. Think of it as someone eating nothing but iceberg lettuce all the time and nothing else. Their belly might be full but the body isn't being properly fed. It's an issue with many types of sandsifter species so don't think yourself to blame.

Cheers
Steve

The Rainford is not a sandsifter but it only eats hair algae. page 273 of "The Reef Aquarium Vol 1"

but steve-s is right it prolly staved to death. they dont do well because they are really picky eater.

I could be wrong, but aren't Rainford's a cool water fish? If I remember correctly they prefer temps in the sixties, and low seventies.

Back
Top Bottom