Reasons for clownfish to jump out of the tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

duoc9119

Aquarium Advice Freak
I was just minding my own business and my clown jumped out of the tank. I got him back in really quick and he's back to hosting the heater close to the surface.

I read somewhere that it could be due to the water being too hot. I have my heater set at 78 which has been consistent. It gets to about 80 when the lights are on but that's about as high as it will go. So now I've set the heater to 77 and hopefully that would do it when the lights are on.

My water parameters have been perfect. Checked a little and had a bit of ammonia but not enough to change to a whole different color. I did however feed him not long ago with frozen mysis shrimp so that could cause the tiny ammonia spike. Going to Lowes tomorrow to get some eggcrate to make a top for the tank just in case it happens again.

Anyone know of any reason why clowns would jump out of the tank to begin with? I've searched everywhere and have just been suggested that it could be temp, water parameters, aggressive fish (he's the only fish in the tank) but no one is for sure

sometimes they do just jump, unless we're the fish, we'll never know. sometimes the lights shutting on or off could do it too, being startled is another reason a fish would jump

if you have ammonia in the tank, your parameters are far from perfect. ammonia is highly toxic. you should never see an ammonia spike after feeding. if you do, you are feeding way too much.

it's definitely not the temperature. 80 is not too hot. FYI-if the clownfish is small enough to fit through the eggcrate holes, he will. fish actually aim for the holes. i lost a blue spotted jawfish to a single hole the size of a dime.

I'm going to feed once a day instead of twice. That could be the cause of the ammonia spike.

Try feeding once every other day. That will help your tank quite a bit.
Don't feed any more than you do now, and probably less.

I will try that. I'm guessing he's got enough to eat between days. I see him snacking on tiny pods crawling on the glass

I've gone as long as five days without feeding the tank (vacation). Any longer than that I have someone feed the tank for me, but most fish can go 10 - 14 days without being fed (not that I want to test that).

Back
Top Bottom