Recomendation for "Quiet" canister filter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
jamesrm said:
I want to add a canister filter to my established 30 gallon setup at my workplace. I really need it to be as quiet or simular in noise level to my HOB filter. I am adding some new fish to the tank as it finished its cycle a few weeks ago, and just want to be sure I have GOOD filtration, as I plan on taking the tank to right at 30 inches of fish when grown.

I have used both Enhiem and Fluval in the past, and I really have no preferance to which one I use for this tank.

Thanks!

The only canister filter that I have personal experience with is the Rena Filstar xP1 I have on my 30 gallon tank. I used it to replace a Penguin BIO-Wheel 330 because I wanted better plant growth and I wanted something out of sight. I found it to be easy to set up and very quiet. The only way I can tell if it is on is if I look at the water currents in the tank or touch the filter to feel the vibrations. I would highly recommend it to anyone looking to get a canister filter.

I bought an Eheim 2260 a while back, spent the biggest part of a day trying to set it up and got so pissed off I boxed it back up and sold it on Ebay the next day. I thought it was way more trouble to deal with than any other piece of aquarium gear i've dealt with. All the tubing was rigid and had to be cut and spliced and rearranged. The suction cups did not hold. I got the unit fully built via the directions and then had to take it all apart again to put a piece of plumbing on it that should have been the first or second step in the directions yet was never mentioned. It was nearly impossible to get primed. I'd heard nothing but good things, and I may try again in the future, but I didn't have a good experience with Eheim at all. The Rena/Filstar series is a dream in comparison. I could set up 15 of those in the time I spent screwing with the 2260.

i have 7 of these at the moment. aqua one CF1200's . i've had 4 for over 3 years and ive had no real problems. a leaky tap from time to time. very silent and very effective.
they have the clear hosing aswell and you do get slime that builds up, but never to the point of reducing flow.

davidtcb1 said:
I bought an Eheim 2260 a while back, spent the biggest part of a day trying to set it up and got so *beep* off I boxed it back up and sold it on Ebay the next day. I thought it was way more trouble to deal with than any other piece of aquarium gear i've dealt with. All the tubing was rigid and had to be cut and spliced and rearranged. The suction cups did not hold. I got the unit fully built via the directions and then had to take it all apart again to put a piece of plumbing on it that should have been the first or second step in the directions yet was never mentioned. It was nearly impossible to get primed. I'd heard nothing but good things, and I may try again in the future, but I didn't have a good experience with Eheim at all. The Rena/Filstar series is a dream in comparison. I could set up 15 of those in the time I spent screwing with the 2260.

I completely understand you there. My neighbor has one, and says it's the best filter out there. But when he saw how easy the maintenance is on my XP3, he's looking at selling the Eheim and getting an XP3. He may even get the XP4 instead, as he's got a 125G.

Sure thing, mine's a 125 and I couldn't imagine dealing with that Ehiem all the time.
Haven't heard much about the XP4 yet.

Back
Top Bottom