Recommend an ideal tank size for Discus fish...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
What kind of fish are those with the Neon blue stripes? Doesn't look like a Neon Tetra.

Also, what's with changing the water daily? How much water do you change out? They don't like the Nitrates, is that it? Other than that, if you keep their desired pH, how hard is it to keep a Discus?

Hi Zach :) . Polished water refers to the clarity. It has nothing to do with ammonia or PH. Plants will assist in that but not as good as a diatom filter will.

Mike, if you're asking about the fish in my gallery, they are black neon tetras. How hard is it to keep discus? They're easy to keep if you understand their requirements and don't treat them like a common community fish :) . BTW. I asked all these water changing questions when I first started keeping them too.

Discus require very clean water. No filter can keep the water clean enough for them. The younger the discus, the more water should be changed. To grow to adulthood, discus require a lot of food. That increases their waste production and changing water is the best way to insure and optimize their health.

The biggest problem I see in keeping the water clean enough in a planted tank is the gravel, not the plants. Food settling and decaying in the substrate can become a real problem. My grow out tanks have no gravel. It makes things easier.

I don't see any blue stripes on those Black Neon Tetras in your gallery, Brian. I think he's talking about the fish in Patwa's post (http://www.aquariumdesigngroup.com/aquascapes/images/live_plant/lp1-Z-e.jpg) about how he is going to model his Discus tank after the one in the picture. I want to say Cardinal Tetras, but I can't see any red, it may be the dim lighting on the tank though, so I'm not sure, but they are the only Tetra I know with a blue Neon stripe racing from the front all the way to the back.

You're right Zanmato :roll: . BTW. Neons have the same stripe. Cardinals are a little larger than neons, have the red along the entire lower body, and can withstand discus temps.

Back
Top Bottom