Recommend some Cichlids that may breed with current setup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jaajaa40

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi,

I have a 65 gallon tank with the following fish, I always wanted to get some Cichlids that may breed baby fish. It would be great for my kids to see and get some interest in the tank. Can I get some recommendations. easy fish to keep?

I was think of getting Firemouth Cichlid or other south American? I always though Brichardi were interesting? Dwarf cichlids?

My current tank has:
---------------------------------
1 Polypterus senegalus (dinosaur fish/eel)
3 large sail fin mollies
2 med silver dollar fish

There are alot of possibilities for dwarfs like rams, kribs, or apistos with your current stock. If your willing to rehome the mollies then there is nothing easier than Convicts, Kanna's, or Honduran Red Points. Then moving bigger I would recommend Salvinis or Sanjicas for color and personality, but the last five will have the ability to kill quickly so the mollies must go. Good luck.

Last edited:
Rainbow cichlids (H. Multispinosa) would make a great addition to that tank as they are a more community oriented cichlid.
Wait a second... You wouldn't happen to be a fish trying to find a good home would you. Your user name and recommendation are fishy!

buy another tank (20g) for the small fish u have now.... then in that bigger tank get 3 convict cichlid...... 1 male 2 females..... then u will have lots of fry!

Just wanted to say that HUKITs suggestion is a great idea. Convicts and similar fish breed like rabbits and are usually good parents so that'd work out, and I've been in love with honduran red points since I've seen some of the pics linked on here in the past.

Just wanted to say that HUKITs suggestion is a great idea. Convicts and similar fish breed like rabbits and are usually good parents so that'd work out, and I've been in love with honduran red points since I've seen some of the pics linked on here in the past.

I have eggs again so give me some time to grow them out, pay shipping and I'll send some for free(I have some new pictures in my albums of the HRP's).

HUKIT,

Your HRPs are beautiful. If I ever have an empty tank, I'm coming to you for some youngsters.

But back on topic.

I have experience with firemouths, convicts, jack dempseys, rams, angels, and managuense (jaguar). The firemouths, convicts and managuense were the best parents. Your tank wouldn't work for the managuense, they are like oscars, needs lots of space.

A couple of other easy breeders/good parents from the african side are jewels and kribenses.

Last edited:
HUKIT

You have nice fish!!!! Where do you live... Like state and how much would be shipping

Thanks all, I did a little more reading an my go with either the Convicts, or Honduran Red Points. I see a lot of people putting small terracotta pots in their tank for caves. Do you suggest I do this? others say flat rocks?

Seems to also be suggested to get one make an two females, do you agree?

A fish club sounds like a good idea.... trade and sell your fish to locals like you.....

I spoke with the LPS or local pet shop we have here, they specialize in Cichlids and would take them or post a message for other shoppers.

They gave me about the same recommendations, but they seem to recommend the fish they have in stock more than then "idea" ones. They did not recommend the "red points" that I think I am favoring, I always seems to get more complete info on AA than from the store. But I do avoid the big box stores and shop with them, although I spend a little more.

how do you tell the difference between male and female red points? The LPS told me to look at the top fin and the belly color? male top fin get longer and more pointed and they have a colored belly, females don't, true? anything else to look for?

I went to get some rams I had ordered today and realized that they would just get gobbled up by our dinosaur birchir. So I'd keep that in mind. We ended up with a pair of firemouths

Back
Top Bottom