Recommendations for a 48" bulb?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

niks93gt

Aquarium Advice Activist
I'm heading to petsmart tomorrow to get a bulb for my new 75 gallon aquarium I set up today. It has a 48" light strip. The bulb that came with it was only 45 watts 8O and I already managed to break it :oops: Suggestions? I don't want to have to use co2 and the tank will be lightly planted with Amazon Swords and Hornwort.

Nik

is this a workshop light strip? t12? if your running plants it needs to be over 5000k up to 12000k plants like blue spec.

niks93gt said:
I'm heading to petsmart tomorrow to get a bulb for my new 75 gallon aquarium I set up today. It has a 48" light strip. The bulb that came with it was only 45 watts 8O and I already managed to break it :oops: Suggestions? I don't want to have to use co2 and the tank will be lightly planted with Amazon Swords and Hornwort.
you are going to need more light then 1 45 watt bulb over a 75 gallon, more like 3 or 4 of those 45 watt bulbs if you want to grow swords...

kaz is right though about looking for bulbs with a spectrum (Kelvin Temp) heavy in blue and red light (easy way to do this is look for "Day light" bulbs" that have a K temp of 6500)

It would be wise to pickup bulbs at home depot vs petsmart. You will save a lot of money that way.

And what type of bulb is 45 watts? maybe 40?

rkilling1 said:
It would be wise to pickup bulbs at home depot vs petsmart. You will save a lot of money that way.

that struck me as odd as well but i just rolled with it :D Mostly because i could not remember off the top of my head the wattage of a 48" T12) do they even sell t12s at Petsmart :? (they do not at any i visit)

JDogg said:
rkilling1 said:

that struck me as odd as well but i just rolled with it :D Mostly because i could not remember off the top of my head the wattage of a 48" T12) do they even sell t12s at Petsmart :? (they do not at any i visit)

They sell hagen T-10's that are 40 watts for the 48" ones.

I stand corrected... it is a T-10 40 watt. I'll go look at home depot for a 6500k bulb. Thanks guys.

Nik

just get a 'daylight' bulb at home depot. none of their bulbs will list K temps or have a CRI chart to show you where the spectrum peaks are.

daylight will be close to 6000K. do NOT get a 'soft white' bulb...it'll be sickly yellow in your tank.

40watts on a 75gallon will keep java ferns alive...that's about it.

what can I grow with a t12, 4 bulbs of 40w at spectrum of 5000 to 6500? this would make my 75g 2.133wpg

malkore said:
just get a 'daylight' bulb at home depot. none of their bulbs will list K temps or have a CRI chart to show you where the spectrum peaks are.

daylight will be close to 6000K. do NOT get a 'soft white' bulb...it'll be sickly yellow in your tank.

40watts on a 75gallon will keep java ferns alive...that's about it.

All the philips T-8's list the K rating right underneath the color name. The philips DAYLIGHT DELUXE bulbs are the ones that are 6500K.

I picked up a t12 6500k bulb. I know this is pretty low lighting, but as long as the swords stay alive, I'll be happy :). I don't want them much bigger than they are right now. If I see they are starting to die, I'll upgrade to a second light strip...

niks93gt said:
I picked up a t12 6500k bulb. I know this is pretty low lighting, but as long as the swords stay alive, I'll be happy :). I don't want them much bigger than they are right now. If I see they are starting to die, I'll upgrade to a second light strip...
one 48" T-12 bulb?

I'd say you need at least 2 40W's to just keep things alive. I was barely keeping low light plants alive at that level (and they started dying after 4-6 months when the bulbs started to get dimmer with age). Now that I have 4x32W T8's the plants are happier, and even at that level, it is still consider low light.

niks93gt said:
So investing in a second light strip is needed?
i would not try to grow swords with out AT LEAST 3 T12 bulbs over the tank that will give you just over 2 wpg... high enough for the swords IMO but not high enough to need a lot of ferts and CO2

I'm going to see how two 40w T12s work dosing with dry ferts. If the swords don't stay alive, I'll probably just go with lower light plants... I don't want the tank to look overly bright... I have been considering using floating plants.

Nik

niks93gt said:
I'm going to see how two 40w T12s work dosing with dry ferts. If the swords don't stay alive, I'll probably just go with lower light plants... I don't want the tank to look overly bright... I have been considering using floating plants.

Nik
well good luck... if/when the swords start to die off send me a pm and i will take them off your hands for the price of shipping, no need to let good plants go to waste ;)

Back
Top Bottom