Red Algae?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kart_racer3

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Greetings,

I wanted to see if anyone could identify this "red algae" that seems to be growing on my rocks and substrate. I clean it off the rocks and glass almost everyday, but it seems to continue to multiply. The cleaner shrimp or snails don't seem to want to eat it either. It is not stringy in consistency, but rather like a thick slime. It starts in radom places on the rock, but after given a chance to grow will become to cover large surfaces. When cleaned, it will break off in small clumps. It also seems to produce small gas bubbles that are released periodically. Any clue on what causes it or how to irradicate it? Any identification and possible solutions are appreciated.

Sounds like cyanobacteria. aka, red slime algae. It's normally caused by high nutrients in your water. What are you nitrate and phosphate readings?

Oh, sorry, I forgot to add that to my previous post.

Nitrate - 2
Nitrite - 0

For some reason my "starter" test kit doesn't include a test for phosphates. I don't know if this is relavent, but the inhabitants are fed a diet consisting of brine shrimp, blood worm, and flake food (not all at once). Thanks for your advice.

Yeah, my master kit didn't come with a phosphate test either. They sell them separately. I don't see a problem with your tests you listed so it's probably your phos that is out of wack. Are the brine frozen? (you do know they are like candy and have almost no nutritional value right? If feeding brine, soak them in a good marine supplement or vitamin first) If your feeding frozen or live, rinse them well and don't throw in the old water. It's full of phosphates. Same with the bloodworms. Flake food can be a source as well if your overfeeding.

Yea, the brine shrimp and blood worms are frozen. What do you suggest that I soak them in before hand? What particular feeding method should I use when providing brine shrimp or blood worms? Is there another food that you could even recommend instead? How can I irradicate the cynobacteria growth? If I fix the phosphate problem will the growth cease? Or do I need a chemical solution? Thanks again for your input.

There are chemical ways to get rid of it but it's just a quick fix. Finding the source of the problem and taking care of it there is the best way to defeat it. I would suggest mysid as a better frozen food than the brine. When feeding frozen, thaw it in tank water or RO water, then drain it before feeding it out. The juices are chock full of phosphates. Some people even go as far as to rinse the food in RO before feeding it out. Also, If your not using RO water, switching over will help you to lower the phosphates. Also, cyano tends to take hold in low flow areas. Increasing waterflow in those areas may help also.

As for chemical cures, I've read on here where people have had success with a product, I think is called Chemi-pure. :?:

Back
Top Bottom