Red anemones are taking over the tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pjcarner

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi everyone~

It's been a long while since I've had to seek support! We've had our tank for about a year and a half. These were cute in the beginning..and now, as you can see, they've taken over!

We have about 70 lbs of live rock in our 75 gallon tank. They were cute in the beginning, and now they've taken over. We've tried Joes Juice but the expanse is overwhelming and to try to shoot each and everyone of these would take hours-there must be over 100! They're even growing on our snails now! You can't grab them and pull them out with tweezers because they close up deep in to the crevices of the live rock.

Any advice would be appreciated!

Attachments

• tank_growth_004_166.jpg
    tank_growth_004_166.jpg
    229.4 KB · Views: 75
aptasia and there a pest in a tank, great at cleaning water but in a tank they are no good.
Your gonna have to nuke them. I have read that if you tray and manually remove them they release spores, spreading them more.. ??? Good luck with the fight..

I remember back when I had some aptasia popping up I read online peppermint shrimp can help clear some up, and sure enough they took care of my problem. Do you have any by any chance?

I've had great success with Joe's Juice, make sure you turn off your water movement equipment before you hit them. I have also has limited success with pep shrimp. I had two stalks and they ate only one of them....

I put a pair of peppermints in my tank and they ate the four atpasia in a few days and I have not seen one since.

WOW that is a lot of aptasia! If it were me I would pull that rock out of the tank and soak it in fresh water for a long time...yes it will kill everything on the rock, but you will get rid of a lot of aptasia at once and you wont risk them breaking away from the rock and popping up somewhere else! Joe's Juice is an awesome product, I use it also. For that many though I would get that rock out of the tank. Just be careful doing it, those jokers have a way of popping up all over.

That`s a good link that Lisa gave you. You`ll want to take action immediately on those.

Ziggy953 said:
WOW that is a lot of aptasia! If it were me I would pull that rock out of the tank and soak it in fresh water for a long time...yes it will kill everything on the rock, but you will get rid of a lot of aptasia at once and you wont risk them breaking away from the rock and popping up somewhere else! Joe's Juice is an awesome product, I use it also. For that many though I would get that rock out of the tank. Just be careful doing it, those jokers have a way of popping up all over.

I agree, that is a lot of Aptasia to handle by chemical means. Aptasia have potent stinging cells which make them a nusance in tanks. I remove the rock, soak it in fresh water, use Joe's Juce on those you can find, and buy a shrimp for those you can't see.

Back
Top Bottom