Red Bubble Algae? Rhodophyte?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Autumnsky

Site Team
The red thing...
Is this a good kind of thing or a bad one and what is it?

It is like petals almost and not like a bubble but gel like texture.

There is a tiny one in the rear of the tank and this one after I bumped the small one and it broke during a water change.

Since it grew at a good rate I am suspecting a pest. It was a darker red and the one in the back is darker red.

60074-albums14597-picture71241.jpg

don't think I have seen any reds macro's that look like that , the closest I could find was red sea lettuce . but that don't look like a match either .

Couldn't find anything looking like that either. It seems attractive. I will just see how it does. If it turns into a overpopulating mess, I will be sure to share the information :). Today I trimmed it and it is in 2 spots presently.

A couple days ago, while reading, there were a couple articles referring to the kind of Bubble algae which was in that family but a good one not a nuisance. (not a bubble like variety) After checking I didn't really see any info on it but was busy with several things and didn't get to dig too deep.

Last edited:
Couldn't find anything looking like that either. It seems attractive. I will just see how it does. If it turns into a overpopulating mess, I will be sure to share the information :). Today I trimmed it and it is in 2 spots presently.

A couple days ago, while reading, there were a couple articles referring to the kind of Bubble algae which was in that family but a good one not a nuisance. (not a bubble like variety) After checking I didn't really see any info on it but was busy with several things and didn't get to dig too deep.
I took the one you gave me to animal Attraction and Aaron, the owner said it's called dragon's breath and it's a good algae unless it overgrows something you don't want it to overgrow and has it in one of his display tanks but his is the dark red you were describing.

Nemastoma gelatinosum

Wow, thank you so much for checking it out!!! That is so cool. I am happy it is a good one.... Also hoping it isn't an over producer.

Yay!

It is very Gelatinous, a great word to describe it, hahaha!

I think the one in the back of the tank is darker, maybe gets more flow better minerals/?? That bigger size in the pic at the beginning of the thread is the one I trimmed mostly.

Next time I get prepared SW from the lfs, I will get the other lfs's they use Red Sea salt mix which I have gathered from reading might have more minerals??? I can't remember what the differences were but I know some reef keepers like it better.

It is pretty far away. Perhaps I need to start mixing my own salt water someday in the future.

Right, lol. It is very lovely. I love looking at it and watching all the tiny brittle stars. Thank you so much.

Right, lol. It is very lovely. I love looking at it and watching all the tiny brittle stars. Thank you so much.

You are very welcome!

Loving that you can appreciate them too. Here, I am the only one really geeking out over that stuff :lol:

Now that I am not going to be scared of that red MA I will be excited to watch it grow! (y)

Back
Top Bottom