Red cap oranda HELP 911

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Carissasuzanne

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello I have a red cap oranda and a black moor. I got them from same tank at the pet store. Yet one of them "red cap" got ich 3 days later. I treated the tank than he started staying at the top of tank.

I did 15% water change figured it was to much ich medicine since he is only 1inch long. Now he's just sitting at the bottom. Not eating. Ich looks like it went away but than he had a white fuzzy thing on the back fin. I took him to the top to rub it off. Some fell off than I go out few hours come back to see his tail that had that white peice is now all shreds. He also got black lips the day after I treated tank with ich medicine.

All and all. Is he dying ?

I hope not I've been crying on and off all day

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    212.1 KB · Views: 65
Thank you .. I just checked on him again and saw two new dots at the tip of the tail fin. So I'm assuming that means fin rot? Is it possible he has ich.. Then fin rot? But the black moor that is in the tank is 100% fine ? I did 15% water change yesterday and 30% today.

Now what? Get fin rot medicine tomorrow and combine it with ich medienceImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1405320485.065466.jpg. This is getting confusing.

U can see the two dots on the now left side of the back tail (which was a good side of the fish)

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Hi, is the ich all gone now? Out of interest what meds did you use?

Also have you tested for ammonia?

Hopefully he bounces back. You could also increase the water changes. What is tank/filter setup?

Possible he picked up a secondary infection after the ich or had something already. The black lips could be ammonia burn (meds wiped out good bacteria) or bacterial infection (which would tie in with fin rot). That's all not too bad - clean water can solve by itself now he is set up in your tank. What's your water change schedule?

First up would be to test water for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and ph if you have these. An extra water change never a hurts (unless still treating).

Thank you for your response. I notice he got two new white dots and the end if his tail. I'm assuming that fin rot? Should I get fin rot medicine ? Or two can't counteract two medicines in same tank?

I treated tank or ich 3 dad ago. I took the carbon filter out and that's when he took a change. When he had ich he was fine.. I don't know if the lack of using carbon in my filter made him
Change. Or the ich medicine.

I have been changing his water past two days.. Ich looked like it went away earlier yesterday. But I saw a larger white growth on him so I took him in my hand to see if I could take off whatever it was & it worked slightly.. Went out few hours and came back to see his tail was now shredded !! Just one side. The side that had that white growth.

I try to feed him he doesn't eat. Doesn't eat all day. Maybe 2 hours pass I check him again & now the other side of his tail and two dots starting at the end of his tail. So I'm assuming fin rot now??

Why is changes on him moving so fast ? It breaks my heart. Meanwhile the black moor in the tank swims around fine. He eats fine. He's fine 100%!

Sighhh :( •• u can notice the two dots I'm talking about in The photo.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1405338360.995794.jpg

Thank you for your response. I notice he got two new white dots and the end if his tail. I'm assuming that fin rot? Should I get fin rot medicine ? Or two can't counteract two medicines in same tank?

Before adding more medicine, first start performing daily/every other daily 50% water changes. From the pictures, your water looks a bit cloudy and quite frankly dirty. Getting the water changed out and allowing him to do some healing on his own would be your best course of action right now. The best way to treat ich is with heat. You would need a heater and your fish would get lethargic during treatment, but it won't kill them. I have 8 goldfish outdoors that haven't had water less than 70 degrees this month due to the weather and during the day it's in the 80s.

Creating your own thread will aid in getting help as well, instead of piggybacking in others.
Sent from my SCH-I435 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

The meds I used was wHat the lady at petland grabbed... Called, API super ick cure

Thank you for your help. I'm new to this so didnt know how to start one.

I Wakeup now to see his attached to the filter but still breathing. What do I do??!!

Wakeup now to see his attached to the filter but still breathing. What do I do??!!

Thank you for your help. I'm new to this so didnt know how to start one.

I Wakeup now to see his attached to the filter but still breathing. What do I do??!!

If he can't swim away from the filter intake, he's pretty much done for. You could remove him, but it's only a matter of time...

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Okay... That last post was a nervous post... I took him
Off filter tried to loose feed him. He did not eat.. So I hand fed him in the net. I believe he at at least one flake. So that makes me happy bc he really just floats around.. The carbon filter has been out 3 days should I put it back in? Since I believe he has fin rot now. Maybe the carbon with take
Out all the ick meds

Sorry to hear that!

Do you have a basket like those used for fry? Looks like netting around a plastic frame - would let him rest without being sucked to the filter.

You might also try:
- turning the filter down (if poss - not all models can be turned down).
- offering him a squished and shelled pea.
- changing 50% of the water now and another 50% later - ie twice a day for awhile (but only if still not medicating).

I have fingers crossed that one of the experts will see your post and respond soon.

Please keep us posted - sending positive vibes from Melbourne,

Roz

I treated tank or ich 3 dad ago. I took the carbon filter out and that's when he took a change. When he had ich he was fine.. I don't know if the lack of using carbon in my filter made him
Change. Or the ich medicine.

I have been changing his water past two days.. Ich looked like it went away earlier yesterday. But I saw a larger white growth on him so I took him in my hand to see if I could take off whatever it was & it worked slightly.. Went out few hours and came back to see his tail was now shredded !! Just one side. The side that had that white growth.

I try to feed him he doesn't eat. Doesn't eat all day. Maybe 2 hours pass I check him again & now the other side of his tail and two dots starting at the end of his tail. So I'm assuming fin rot now??

Why is changes on him moving so fast ? It breaks my heart. Meanwhile the black moor in the tank swims around fine. He eats fine. He's fine 100%!

Sighhh :( •• u can notice the two dots I'm talking about in The photo.

View attachment 243108

No worries - what is normally in your filter? Was it just the carbon and sponge or something else?

Jumping on desktop later for a better look.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1405340690.920024.jpg

This is what normally is in filter..

Since I don't believe it's ick anymore I'm deciding to put filters back in. Since that's when he turns bad.

Once I took him off filter and placed him on other side it the tank he he's staying there. Floating loosely but not getting pulled in

Thank you roz!!

Since I don't believe it's ick anymore since the dots start at end of his tail. Should I do that water change & place new filter in since there has been no filter going on 4 days

I'm no expert, but if you aren't going through a medicine course, it would be best to put the filter back. But Delapool will know more than me there.

The water changes would help - I know it seems like it will just add to his stress, but it will be beneficial.

The pea is a suggestion at the moment as a treat - but also good for Orandas who I have noticed are prone to SBDs.

Roz, it's just confusing bc he has two dots on him. But not sure if ick or fin rot.

I guess changing water and filter can't hurt. If he gets more dots I'll treat again I guess

Yes - the filter should go on and try with the carbon in. I suspect you have lost nitrifying bacteria from removing the carbon and wool sponge (plus the meds would have killed some off). A lfs may do an ammonia test for free to check. Daily water changes to keep the water clean.

Handle the fish as little as possible. Don't feed - just let him settle. When ill they don't eat much.

Edit - the dots don't look like ich to me. We can leave them for the moment unless it gets worse.

Regarding medicines, I would wait until one of the experts, such as JLK responds. She will know how to treat your little guy.

Certainly, the water changes, peas and fry net basket won't hurt in the meantime.

I have fingers crossed for the little guy.

Back
Top Bottom