Red cap oranda HELP 911

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Let me bust out the centigrade converter-
Were hovering in the high 30s on average, but the humidity is like 80% as well. My goldies are in an aquaponics system so I have done a water change in a month. I tried putting frozen 1 gallon jugs in the tank but the temperature drop was so slight I have given up that effort.
The highest the water has gotten was just over 32, but it has been staying around 27 since I added some shade to the sides of the tank.

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Can you get large bags of ice from the supermarket or service station - the kind that people get for parties - I have seen the lfs float those in their tanks. I would wipe down the bags first before placing them in your tank.

I also did the following during our 35-40C+ days (we generally have very low humidity on those days):
- placed multiple blankets / sleeping bag on the window to block light and heat.
- ran the air conditioner all night so the room was at least cool for some of the day.
- changed water daily.

I think changing at least half the water daily was the most effective out of all my strategies. The air conditioner couldn't cope, and covering the window did little, but I gave it a go!

Hope this helps :)

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Let me bust out the centigrade converter-
Were hovering in the high 30s on average, but the humidity is like 80% as well. My goldies are in an aquaponics system so I have done a water change in a month. I tried putting frozen 1 gallon jugs in the tank but the temperature drop was so slight I have given up that effort.
The highest the water has gotten was just over 32, but it has been staying around 27 since I added some shade to the sides of the tank.

I think that's called a monsoon cloud! That is very tropical. I've found here that sudden jumps of plus 3C or 6F (hope that is right) causes problems here.

Are fancies more sensitive to heat than commons/comets? My goldies have been in 80 degree water for like a month now. It does vary and drop down to the 70s, but during the day it's like 85 when it tops out. They get lethargic, but overall they're okay.

Your answering your own question.

Commons/streamline single tail goldfish are more closely related to their wild carp ancestors than their selectively bred (for millennia) fancy brethren. Wild goldfish exist almost everywhere in the world- fancies do not for good reason.

The fact that your fancies are visibly lethargic should be setting off big red flags that they are definitely not 'ok' as this is not normal behavior. 86-88f for fancies is a potential death sentence and heatwaves are the largest killer of fancies in the summer. Many breeders bring their fish indoors rather than run the risk of demise. Also bare in mind that being kept at such high temps will also create long term health ramifications that may not be obvious at the moment.

As Roz suggested, daily wcs with cooler water is the most helpful if AC/fans are not working to keep the temps in a reasonable range. I have to do this frequently with my fancies that summer outside and even occasionally have to do frequent wcs on my pond (which generally doesn't go above 80f) when we hit very hot spells. Simple but effective means for keeping fish happy and healthy. :)

Back
Top Bottom