Red Cherry Shrimp

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bubbles0oO

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hi guys! Lately i have been craving another addition to my tanks, and shrimp seem to hit the spot for me. I am interested in red cherry shrimp. I plant on keeping my eye out for sales ( not he $ per gallon my petstore sometimes has people bring in old tanks and sells them 1/4 price)

So i did a little research on rcs but can sombody give me the exact steps to breeding them?
Anything special they may. Need?

My intentions are to breed them in there own 10-20 gallon tank.

( also i found this website that sells them, is it a good deal? Im new to the shrimp/ shipping world lol). http://www.wilmasthecause.org/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=6

From what I know, add water, keep parameters in check, feed, and breed. That's it. Oh and plants are pretty much a must. There's not much to it:) I'm not sure about the website, but I know that many people on here sell them and are of high quality!

Cycled established tank.. water and shrimp... look for deal around $1 a shrimp... go to the planted tank forum, swap and shop always has rcs

What is a good starter size for a breeding colony? I mean i know that they will breed nomatter what. And another question i know in most shrimp tanks there is gravel, but i already have sand for this new tank. So should i use gravel or sand?
And ill look into the thread, thanks !

Bubbles0oO said:
What is a good starter size for a breeding colony? I mean i know that they will breed nomatter what. And another question i know in most shrimp tanks there is gravel, but i already have sand for this new tank. So should i use gravel or sand?
And ill look into the thread, thanks !

I'd say 10 and up
I'm using sand but now I also see why people use gravel instead since it's harder to gravel vac because you could suck in tiny babies all the debris is really noticeable in sand but in gravel it just sinks to the bottom
I think I should've gone with black gravel

I would use sand or a plant or shrimp substrate. I would say start with 10-20. Try to get shrimp for 2 different sources

Fishandmusic81 said:
I'd say 10 and up
I'm using sand but now I also see why people use gravel instead since it's harder to gravel vac because you could suck in tiny babies all the debris is really noticeable in sand but in gravel it just sinks to the bottom
I think I should've gone with black gravel

I have black gravel. And it kinda sucks. Wish I had black sand.

I'd look into the other colorations of the neocaradina shrimp as well. Just something to consider.

In fact dead easy. Take a tank fill with water 25 degrees Celsius. Add plants feed them well, refresh 50% water with cold water.

Congratulations, you just made the shrimps get a new carapace, and I'd all goes like it should they be mating soon enough. Eggs are under female belly for 3 weeks, babys hatch fully evolved

Check my shrimp tank for pictures of it. I have constantly 2 females with ally of egs

The sand i have now is white PFS. But black sand will make there color come out more? I have 3/4 of the tank walls lined with black background because my other fish enjoy beating themselves up to swim into the new place lol.

Bubbles0oO said:
The sand i have now is white PFS. But black sand will make there color come out more? I have 3/4 of the tank walls lined with black background because my other fish enjoy beating themselves up to swim into the new place lol.

They try and match the color of the substrate, so black is better IMO.

Ill see what i can do

Do you think that teracotta pots broken in half to cover the bottom would help?

Is there an easy way to change out sand?

Sand gives hell when you try 2 change. I think dark bottom is aloit nicer, and shrimps with bright color look alot more red or green or yellow or.blue

Well the problem is he tank they will be living in has white sand already. I guess once i am able to i can change over to a different 10gallon with black substrate. But that will be a few months. ( permission, space, money lol)

Will there color be affected by this?

On white normal sand they look just fine if it's sand like in riversand it's ok, they live In Rivers. I change my tank when I like. My shrimp are quite sturdy. And don't mind if they are moved and moved again. Just don't do this everyday and they will be ok. Cherry shrimp normally live in fast moving rivers and streams,

tukker said:
On white normal sand they look just fine if it's sand like in riversand it's ok, they live In Rivers. I change my tank when I like. My shrimp are quite sturdy. And don't mind if they are moved and moved again. Just don't do this everyday and they will be ok. Cherry shrimp normally live in fast moving rivers and streams,

So this brings upon a question. I have recently found a pretty perfect rock to put in my shrimp tank, and there's no more room. So I would have to take out an artificial rock/ cave thing and put it in. Would this stress them out? Or would they just be like meh, new rock. Hahah

Well in my opinion if you catch some and separate them in q breeding tank, within 1 minute they start cleaning and scavenging for food. So if you just pull out a rock and put a new one in they go like hey hey food food food interesting interesting new newnewnew, and just go on with their live. Their colors made fade a little, but recover really fast. I now got a new problem some just drop dead in an instance. Prolly the water is too warm, cause outside its 27 degrees Celsius. I turned of the heater and added 30% new cold water I hope it helps. Im really busy with them. Their stressed now, they have faded colors so I do not put in new plants wi h I bought, till it cools down or they are back in chill mode. Till then I concentrate on my geosesarma sp. Celebes crab tank

Btw. Watch out with metals in the water. Copper and materials with copper are killers. Even if you work with it, clean your hands very very good. Shrimps die when they get in contact with coppeer and related heavy metals.

Back
Top Bottom