Red Cherry Shrimp?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AZdogpatch06

Aquarium Advice Freak
Yey my first post! :dance: Alright down to business, so like the title says, I'm looking to add some red cherry shrimp to my tank. I have two tanks: A 3 gallon tank with jut a beta and an apple snail in it. I tried to put a few ghost shrimp in there but my beta made a meal of them. A ten gallon with 3 zebra danios, 2 clear tetras (not sure of specific breed), an apple snail, and a cory catfish. oh and one lousy ghost shrimp that survived my betas murderous rampage in the other tank. My question is, how many...and are they compatible with my current set up? I've heard ten shrimp per gallon, but I don't want to overstock. Thanks everyone =) :fish2:

PS- obviouly looking to put hem in the 10 gallon since my beta is a serial killer.

Cherry shrimp have such a low bio load that I wouldn't worry, a 10gal tank could support a few hundred of them without issues. Also the zebra danios might be an issue if there's not enough hiding places for the shrimp, but they should be compatible

Just get three or four to start with to see how the danios and tetras respond to them. They also might think of them as moving food. That one lone cory must be lonely--they should be in small groups. What species is he? Most corys other than the pygmy/dwarf varieties need a bigger tank.

Just get three or four to start with to see how the danios and tetras respond to them. They also might think of them as moving food. That one lone cory must be lonely--they should be in small groups. What species is he? Most corys other than the pygmy/dwarf varieties need a bigger tank.

good idea to start with just a few, no sense buying a load just for to be eaten.

Thanks everyone for the tips! I went out and bought 7 of the little guys today, at a wopping $3 a piece, but it was the only place that had any left. I put them in and I'm having issues spotting them, I hope they're just hiding and my other fish hadn't eaten them. Along with the cherrys, I also bought two live plants, and they are my first live plants. Been in the fish hoppy for about 4 years now and decided to take a chance. I was wondering if I have the right lighting for them to grow properly, I have two of the following lights in my full hood: Aqueon® Colormax Mini Compact Fluorescent Lamp - Lighting & Hoods - Fish - PetSmart

Thanks everyone!

Once I got my cherry shrimp and saw how different in size they are to the ghosties, I made sure to keep them in separate tanks. Maybe with enough cover they'd be OK, but...
My ghosties are also more aggressive than the cherries.
Plus, since your ghostie is already traumatized, he might have an axe to grind ;)
BTW there is also an inverts subforum here.

What types of plants did you get? A lot of hardy plants will be fine with that light. The more plants the more places the shirmp will have to hind. Cherry shrimp will reporduce rapidly too, but the babies would probably be eaten.

Hello everyone, since my last post i have since upgraded to a 20 gallon tank! When I removed all my fish from my 10 gallon, all 7 shrimp were still alive. It took me a while to find them, but they are all still alive as of a few days ago. As for my plants, I have no idea what they are. They are long and have lots of tiny leaves. I won't be buying anymore from that place because they were loaded with ramshorn snails, luckily I was able to scrape them all off and the danios in my tank made a meal of them. Anyways, in my new 20 gallon, I seem to be having a problem with the bubbles from my air stone splashing up from the cutout where my heater and filter go, and it's getting into my light fixture. Any way I can prevent this? I have my air stone turned off for the time being, the fish should be perfectly fine with the oxygen diffusion from the filter, but I like having air stones because they circulate water, and of course they look good. Thanks!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I might suggest getting 10, so if your fish do eat some, you have enough to reproduce to replace the ones lost. Also, the minimum people usually sell is 10. I am ordering some now!

Do I need a filter sponge so the eggs don't get sucked up?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

They're a great addition to a tank, just make sure it's not food for your current livestock.

For breeding you need a small tank with bubble filter, or low flow filter.

I've had cherry shrimp breed in my 20 gallon tank with tetras and honey gouramis. There has to be places for the babies to hide; java moss is great for that. I had to put a piece of pantyhose over the intake for my Aqua Clear filter to keep tiny babies from getting sucked in, but it works fine. I'm sure the fish have snacked on many babies, too.

Red Cherry Sheimp carry the eggs under the females tail but the fry is what I think you mean. That might get sucked up yeah

Yes, I mean the tiny fry. I found several (alive and well) inside my filter before I started covering the opening with a snippet of panty hose.

Back
Top Bottom