Red Claw Shrimp

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zezmo

Aquarium Advice Addict
I mentioned a while back, that I was keeping a shrimp only tank (inspired by the whole ghost shrimp mortality issue). I am happy to say, that when properly acclimated (drip style) and when put in a shrimp friendly environment, the ghosts (grass) shrimp have very low mortality.

With my new shrimp success, I decided to pick up some more shrimp to add variety to the tank.

Macrobrachium assamense (Red Claw Shrimp)
http://www.petshrimp.com/redclawshrimp.html

I picked up a pregnant female a couple weeks ago. She seems to be doing well in my shrimp tank. She actually shed yesterday... worried me at first.. there were little ghoste shrimp inside her empty exo-skeletin eating at some bits. I had to search a bit to find her safely tucked into a nook in my driftwood.
As I have read a little about this shrimp I am sure that I want to try and establish a breeding colony of them. As with many invert, the best info seems to be in Dutch or German. Does anyone here have any experience with this shrimp?

can shrimp be kept with cichlids? I know I was told that blue crayfish would eat my fish. Is there a risk in keeping cichlids and shrimp together?

nomadofthehills said:
For the shrimp :twisted:

Well, I've heard of 14-inch M. rosenbergii completely clearing out a Dutch hobbyist's Rift Lake tank over the course of a weekend.

From what I have read on these Red Claw Shrimp they will eat your fish one nip at a time. So I am not risking them inthe main tank. The only fish in the shrimp tank is a single juvenile B-nose pleco. If he starts to look nipped on, then I will move him to another tank.

In the main tank, I have seen my Bloodfin tetras school up and hunt shrimp as a pack. They will circle over the shrimp with pairs darting in to pick off bits of the shrimp, usually starting with the eyes.

So has anyone here ever kept a Red Claw Shrimp?

Zezmo said:
From what I have read on these Red Claw Shrimp they will eat your fish one nip at a time. So I am not risking them inthe main tank. The only fish in the shrimp tank is a single juvenile B-nose pleco. If he starts to look nipped on, then I will move him to another tank.

With most Macrobrachium (that is, apart from exclusive mutilation-feeders or situations involving significantly larger fish), one will generally only notice nipped finnage on fish that managed to escape. Otherwise, the shrimp, upon seizing its prey, will chew (as with a cob of maize) from one end to the other.

Back
Top Bottom