Red crystal shrimp tank mates?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
phoenixkiller said:
Are you planning to breed? If you are breeding, there's only a handful of fish you can keep with them.

Not at the moment

If you are talking about Crystal red shrimp, then have you kept other shrimp before? These guys require great water conditions, and really are not for beginners.

If you are planning to ever breed, I say that otos, cories, and some snails are shrimplet-safe.

Some say that they do best alone, and will show their brightest colors when living in a species-only tank.

The rough rule I have is that if it is big, they're gonna die. If they are tiny, they'll usually eat only the babies, maybe harass the adults. If you find something that is totally peaceful, then you are lucky. Otos and some cories would do best, but my opinion is that you should have a species-only tank.

What size tank is it?

Fishman94 said:
The tank is 2ft 6" long 15"high 15"

Do you know gallons for us mathematically inept folk?

I'd say it definitely has room for some schools of fish if you want. It is like a 10gallon ish tank? Well I think harlequin rasboras are amazing. Or a huge school of chili rasboras. They'll kill some of your young, but not all of them if your tank has lots of plants and cover.

CRS like specific water parameters.
Nano Fish ONLY !!

Otos are the only 100% shrimp safe fish AFAIK.

The tank needs to be planted and completely cycled before you add Shrimp. Water quality or parameter swings kill them fast. They are much more sensitive than Red Cherry Shrimp.

If you want tank mates, consider:
Otocinclus
dwarf Corydoras ( 3 species)
Threadfin Rainbowfish ( tiny mouths )
Chili Rasboras

Celestial Pearl Danios may eat Shrimplets

If you buy from a hobbyist you will get much better prices usually. I got mine as a gift from a Club member.

My CRS tank is set up with AquaSoil Amazonia new Multi type. Low PH ! Just for my CRS.

phoenixkiller said:
If you are talking about Crystal red shrimp, then have you kept other shrimp before? These guys require great water conditions, and really are not for beginners.

If you are planning to ever breed, I say that otos, cories, and some snails are shrimplet-safe.

Some say that they do best alone, and will show their brightest colors when living in a species-only tank.

The rough rule I have is that if it is big, they're gonna die. If they are tiny, they'll usually eat only the babies, maybe harass the adults. If you find something that is totally peaceful, then you are lucky. Otos and some cories would do best, but my opinion is that you should have a species-only tank.

What size tank is it?
You just broke your own rule... Cories are considered big compare to dwarf shrimp. IMO a better rule is "if they can fit in the fish's mouth, they're dinner. "

maxwellag said:
You just broke your own rule... Cories are considered big compare to dwarf shrimp. IMO a better rule is "if they can fit in the fish's mouth, they're dinner. "

Have you seen
C hastatus , habrosus and pygmaeus ?
All 1" or less. Yes, dwarf was left off the recommendation.
My "big" female habrosus might be a tiny bit over an inch.

Coursair said:
Have you seen
C hastatus , habrosus and pygmaeus ?
All 1" or less. Yes, dwarf was left off the recommendation.
My "big" female habrosus might be a tiny bit over an inch.

He didn't specify pygmy cories. A lot of cories get over 2 inches.

Yes, you're right and he should have written dwarf.

Can you imagine the glee of a big Brochis in a tank of candy cane colored Shrimp LOL

LOL the cory would ram into the shrimp for algae wafers.

Back
Top Bottom