red devil and red bay snook had eggs?!?!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PolyptRus

Aquarium Advice Freak
I just looked in my tank and seen my red devil and red snook guarding hundreds of eggs!!! This was completely unintentional and im shocked!! The eggs are all fertilized besides a few white ones, since they have paired up i know they will do this again so i see no point in stressing them out by removing the eggs.
I will be getting a divider and separating them from the other fish in the tank.

I am really not to sure if snooks and devils can successfully breed with hatching fry, just wondering if maybe anyone is familiar with a red devil x snook cross. Or atleast seen it, i am not trying to create hybrids this was unintentional and came as a complete surprise ive never heard of red bay snooks and red devils breeding. but since it has happened i am not going to separate them or destroy the nest i don't want to stress them out so i just want to let them do there own thing, and to be honest i am kind of curious and anxious to see what the outcome is.

I just looked in my tank and seen my red devil and red snook guarding hundreds of eggs!!! This was completely unintentional and im shocked!! The eggs are all fertilized besides a few white ones, since they have paired up i know they will do this again so i see no point in stressing them out by removing the eggs.
I will be getting a divider and separating them from the other fish in the tank.

I am really not to sure if snooks and devils can successfully breed with hatching fry, just wondering if maybe anyone is familiar with a red devil x snook cross. Or atleast seen it, i am not trying to create hybrids this was unintentional and came as a complete surprise ive never heard of red bay snooks and red devils breeding. but since it has happened i am not going to separate them or destroy the nest i don't want to stress them out so i just want to let them do there own thing, and to be honest i am kind of curious and anxious to see what the outcome is.

Here are the culprits male red devil x female red bay snook

ForumRunner_20130110_170552.jpg

1. All Central American Cichlids can and will hybridize with any other Central American Cichlid - Until it is proven otherwise, assume all Central Americans can hybridize with one another.

2. All Central American Cichlids can hybridize with any Hybrid Central American Cichlid - Most commercially sold hybrid cichlids are of Central American descent and should be considered Hybrid CA Cichlids, these include Parrot Cichlids, Flowerhorn Cichlids, and Red Texas Cichlids.

3. No South American Cichlid can hybridize with any Central American Cichlid - Until it is proven otherwise, assume that no South American Cichlids can not hybridize with any Central American. No South American Cichlid has ever been confirmed to successful hybridize with any Central American Cichlid, any case of this happening successfully has been word of mouth.
Exception to the rule: exCichlasoma Festae can successfully hybridize with any Central American Cichlid. ExCichlasoma Festae is essentially a Central American Cichlid living in South America.

4. No South American Cichlid can hybridize with any other South American Cichlid - Until it is proven otherwise, assume that South American Cichlids can not hybridize with any South American. No South American Cichlid has ever been confirmed to successful hybridize with any South American Cichlid, any case of this happening successfully has been word of mouth.
Exception to the rule: Same genus South American Cichlid can potentially hybridize with one another. For example a Aequidens Rivulatus can hybridize with a Aequidens pulcher.

1. All Central American Cichlids can and will hybridize with any other Central American Cichlid - Until it is proven otherwise, assume all Central Americans can hybridize with one another.

2. All Central American Cichlids can hybridize with any Hybrid Central American Cichlid - Most commercially sold hybrid cichlids are of Central American descent and should be considered Hybrid CA Cichlids, these include Parrot Cichlids, Flowerhorn Cichlids, and Red Texas Cichlids.

3. No South American Cichlid can hybridize with any Central American Cichlid - Until it is proven otherwise, assume that no South American Cichlids can not hybridize with any Central American. No South American Cichlid has ever been confirmed to successful hybridize with any Central American Cichlid, any case of this happening successfully has been word of mouth.
Exception to the rule: exCichlasoma Festae can successfully hybridize with any Central American Cichlid. ExCichlasoma Festae is essentially a Central American Cichlid living in South America.

4. No South American Cichlid can hybridize with any other South American Cichlid - Until it is proven otherwise, assume that South American Cichlids can not hybridize with any South American. No South American Cichlid has ever been confirmed to successful hybridize with any South American Cichlid, any case of this happening successfully has been word of mouth.
Exception to the rule: Same genus South American Cichlid can potentially hybridize with one another. For example a Aequidens Rivulatus can hybridize with a Aequidens pulcher.

Okay so in my situation could this turn out with living fry or will they most likely just turn out to be a batch of unsuccessfully fertilized eggs?

I have read other articles on the internet of people having there red devil x snook pair up but haven't seen any stating they successfully fertilized the eggs let alone had any fry..... I suppose all i can do is wait this one out and see the outcome.

Okay so in my situation could this turn out with living fry or will they most likely just turn out to be a batch of unsuccessfully fertilized eggs?

As HUKIT said any Central American cichlid can hybridize with any other Central American. So unless the eggs go white and fuzzy we can assume there are viable embryos inside.

Back
Top Bottom