red eye tetra..need help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

woo

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
1~What type of fish is afflicted? In addition, please describe what is wrong with the fish to the best of your ability (i.e. cotton like growth, bloated, etc.).

My red eye tetra recently developed a fungus (?) patch on his side. It showed up right after I lost my big red eye tetra due to some type of lip fungus..cottonmouth I think. I'm betting it probably spread to other fish, this one in particular.

2~What are your tank parameters (ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, temp, pH)? Please give exact values.

Ammo and nitrites: 0
Nitrate: 10
Temp: 80F (summer time :()
pH: 7.6

3~ How large is the tank? How long has the tank been set up?

26 gallons, since March 2005.

4~What type of filtration are you using?

Eheim Ecco 2232

5~How many fish are in the tank? What kinds of fish are they and what are their current sizes?

2 small/mediumish angels, 2 other red eyes about the same size as him, 1 platy, 1 swordtail. It's a peaceful tank, I don't think it's a wound..

6~When is the last time you did a water change and vacuum the gravel?
How often do you do this? How much water do you remove at a time?

I change about 25% once or twice a week, vac included.

7~How long have you had the fish?

Two months.

8~Have you added anything new to the tank--decor, new dechlorinator, new substrate, etc.?

Nope, gravel and fake plants and amquel plus since day one.

9A~What kind of food have you been feeding your fish, have you changed their diet recently?

Omega one flakes and frozen/live brine shrimp.

Like I mentioned earlier..I think this was probably caused by the cottonmouth on the bigger red eye. I don't have a QT tank, and I wasn't sure if cottonmouth symptoms spread to other fish, so I treated the entire tank with maracyn 1 and 2 for a week. I used up all the tablets and the problem hasn't gone away. I have about half a bottle of melafix left, that hasn't really done anything either..I don't even know if this is a fungus or not (I'm still new to the hobby) so I included some poorly taken photos..tetras don't really stay still =\ However, if better pictures are needed to diagnose the problem, I'm up for the challenge.

Attachments

• p7130003.jpg
    p7130003.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 69
  • p7130004.jpg
    p7130004.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 169
  • p7130006.jpg
    p7130006.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 105
It does look like a wound, though (which could have been caused by contact with something stationary in the tank, too). Is it fuzzy?

Melafix probably won't do anything if it is a fungal infection.

It was fuzzy at first..I just checked it a few minutes ago and it looks like it cleared up and now it's just a wound because there's a patch of missing skin, like he got cut or something. I can see a tiny bit of blood from looking at it :(

The red eye with cottonmouth was in the tank for a while before I treated him.. :oops: was it possible that it or other types of the disease spread on to other fish?

Back
Top Bottom