Red gills

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Deepblue02

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have two angel fish, and one has sort of a red line at his gills, whereas the other doesn't, i know they are different sexes, so is that the reason or is there something wrong

I have noticed it is only on one side of him, like a bit of the skin that covers the gill is missing. A betta a used to have was the same, is it anything for cause to concern?

have you checked the water parameters? ammonia can cause some gill redness. i always look to the water first. is your tank cycled? how often do you do water changes and how much water do you change out? if all your water tests come back fine then i would just watch and observe the angel to see if any other symtoms show up.

Okay thanks, last time i checked it was all 0, i have put in a chemical that cancels out ammonia and nitrates though just now, thanks in advance if it works

Yeah, it has just been added so it could be something from the lfs or it could be stressed, i didnt think of that, thanks

My juli cory developed red gills after I quarantined them, and put them in my community tank. Took the smallest one the longest to get settled in. But he is fine now=)

Back
Top Bottom