Red Platy: problem?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Judge92

Aquarium Advice Activist
Recently my small red platy has been hiding behind the filter. I didn't really think anything of it but today at feeding time I noticed that he was EXTREMELY fat. But there was more to it than that. It looked like all of his scales were sticking OUT of his body as if he had like spikes coming out of him. It seriously didn't look good or right. Any ideas?

No, not right now unfortunately. I'll try and get one tomorrow.

After a quick google search it sounds like dropsy. It says that it can be caused in most cases by not clean water. Which doesn't make any sense because i did a PWC in my tank about two days ago.

Here are my parameters:
PH: ~7.5
Ammonia: 2.4 I know that this is a problem, however, is it so high because I just did a water change the other day and now the cycle is sort of restarting? Or is it because the platy is sick? Based on my PH level, the ammonia isn't toxic (according to the chart with my test kit)
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 0

Again another problem, no nitrates. There should be at least some shouldn't there?

I have no idea how things could have changed so much especially after a water change not even 3 days ago

Would someone PLEASE respond to me. This forum was active when I first joined and now it seems like no one is bothering to respond anymore.

That level of Ammonia is LEATHAL! You need to start doing twice daily 50% water changes to get it right down. Changing the water will not cause you to go into a new cycle.

Yes, I did use a water conditioner when I did the water change. I've also tested my tap water before and there is no ammonia in it. The test kit says that the level of ammonia in my tank is non toxic because of the ph level.

Your pH is into the base range, it needs to be lower than that to start having a real affect on your ammonia toxicity. Toxic or not your ammonia levels are too high and need to be brought down urgently.

Sure, you can keep saying "it's not a problem due to my pH" and watch the fish die, up to you.

I'd appreciate it if you weren't an a**hole. I am just going by what the chart says so if that makes me wrong then whatever. Thank you for your suggestion.

And I never said "its not a problem due to my ph" I said "according to the chart the ammonia isnt toxic because of my ph" and that's as much as I knew since no one wanted to respond to me.

If you've taken offence then I apologise. However the advice remains the same, you need to get your ammonia right down, right now.

Once you are running an ammonia level of zero *then* we can look for other reasons why your fish are distressed.

Before we try to diagnose a disease, let's take care of the primary issue. That is the ammonia level. What test kit are you using? Large PWCs to get and keep it below .25 are needed. Sorry to come to the dance late, but can you tell us about your tank? Size, fish, filtration, maintenance practices, etc?

There may be some tidbits that help in here.
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forum...-but-i-already-have-fish-what-now-116287.html

feed it some peas, it is constipated. squeeze the peas out of the skins.

feed it some peas, it is constipated. squeeze the peas out of the skins.

There is inadequate info to support a statement of fact such as that IMO.

We need more info, but clean water will take care of most issues or at least get the fish through them.

cab does bring up a good question though. What and how often has the platy been eating?

HN1:
The tank is 29g and if it isn't in this post my fish are:
1 Platy
2 Mollies
9 Neons
2 Guppies
4 Green and Gold Cories
1 Clown Pleco

My filter is a Tetra Whisper EX30. I try to do water changes every week sometimes it gets to be about a week and a half or so. The water parameters haven't gone all wierd until now. All the fish eat regular flake food. My testing kit is the Nutrafin master kit. It is liquid drops.

Until recently, the platy ate normally like all the other fish but now he hardly eats. He is in a bag floating in the tank right now. I fed him when it was feeding time and there was some food still in the bag this morning. I didn't give him too much to eat either.

HN1:
The tank is 29g and if it isn't in this post my fish are:
1 Platy
2 Mollies
9 Neons
2 Guppies
4 Green and Gold Cories
1 Clown Pleco

My filter is a Tetra Whisper EX30. I try to do water changes every week sometimes it gets to be about a week and a half or so. The water parameters haven't gone all wierd until now. All the fish eat regular flake food. My testing kit is the Nutrafin master kit. It is liquid drops.

Until recently, the platy ate normally like all the other fish but now he hardly eats. He is in a bag floating in the tank right now. I fed him when it was feeding time and there was some food still in the bag this morning. I didn't give him too much to eat either.

That's quite a load on that filter. I know it's "rated" for 30G, but in reality the manufacturers are VERY liberal with their ratings and I think it may be a contributing factor. We had a clown pleco in a 10G fry tank (bare bottomed) temporarily and the amount of poop absolutely amazed me. Have you done any filter cleaning? Do you gravel vac with each PWC?

After I do my water change, when should I test the water?

I'd test before. Like Mark said, That way you know the max.

Ok well I did a change and didn't test it before. I last did a test yesterday and 2.4 was the ammonia.
I gravel vac each time I do a water change although I didn't really do it properly until the last change (less than a week ago). I also change the filter when the "timer" says it's time to change.

Do you suggest getting a better filter for like a 45g?

Back
Top Bottom