Red tail shark comparable with rummy nose tetras??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Oh ok they are an awesome catfish but don't add the red tailed shark in with him. If the shark even try's to chase him the catfish won't hesitate to attack him. I have mine in with an Oscar and a comvict and you should see the con mess with him. The catfish beats his *** every time.

Hahaha, yeah my friend has one that is fully grown and I would never have guessed that they're aggressive! They so pretty I love them.
But so far he hasn't attacked anyone in my tank. He is very content in his little area under some driftwood and indulges himself on bloodworms every night :)
Thank you for all your advice! I'm trying to do as much research as possible before I get any fish.
The only reason I have these fish together is because I had some of them in my smaller tank before I upgraded.

If you've had them a while, must be ok then. I do get continually surprised in this hobby though. I had tigers as a teenager years ago that were a nightmare. Had rosys more recently that tore up some slow moving fish before i moved them. But then again ive had a female siamese fighter that took out about 5 neons, 3 lemon tetras and a few other random fish before i removed it. And i had a small Badis that took out loads of smaller fish a while back. I currently have an Electric Blue JD, Jewel cichlid, Convict, Firemouth and RTBS (in various tanks), all fish with a fairly bad to atrocious reputation that have hardly caused a scrap of trouble so you really never know!

If you've had them a while, must be ok then. I do get continually surprised in this hobby though. I had tigers as a teenager years ago that were a nightmare. Had rosys more recently that tore up some slow moving fish before i moved them. But then again ive had a female siamese fighter that took out about 5 neons, 3 lemon tetras and a few other random fish before i removed it. And i had a small Badis that took out loads of smaller fish a while back. I currently have an Electric Blue JD, Jewel cichlid, Convict, Firemouth and RTBS (in various tanks), all fish with a fairly bad to atrocious reputation that have hardly caused a scrap of trouble so you really never know!

Yeah the hobby is so interesting and always surprises me. My dad had numerous amounts of huge salt water and freshwater tanks and I've taken on the hobby! I'm still in the process of getting my tank how I want it. I still consider myself a beginner even though I've had fish for a couple of years.
I constantly want to change my scaping but want to get all the fish situated first.

I absolutely love loaches and I wish I had a bigger tank to house clown loaches! But my tank isn't big enough :( so I bought some yo-yo's.
And suggestions for some compatible fish with yo-yo's tiger barbs and a featherfin cat? Those are the fish I want to keep for sure.

Ive got Syno petricola which are a bit smaller and more peaceful than the featherfin, but from the same genus. I keep mine as a 6, your featherfin would be better in a small group really. Not sure about compatability with yoyo's but may be ok. Personally, i'd put central american cichlids with them, such as firemouth, rainbow, sajica, female convict or even EBJD. I recommend those from personal experience, they're all great fish in their own way and i've had success with them. If you get an EBJD though, buy a good size one over 4 inches as they are delicate when small and expensive. I paid £19 for one at 1.5 inch which died. I paid £35 for a 5 inch one recently which seems ok so far.

Btw. Dont put anything with long fins and slow moving with that lot, they'll get torn to shreds. Things like Angelfish for example.

I mean anything can happen I have a Jack Dempsey with 4 pictus cats and a red tailed shark and they have been just fine. Then there is my Featherfin who doesn't put up with any bullying.

Btw. Dont put anything with long fins and slow moving with that lot, they'll get torn to shreds. Things like Angelfish for example.

Okay so funny story, my lfs buys back some fish and gives you some store credit.
So... Today I was there and asked about my discus and they told me they would take them...
So I went and got them and got store credit.
I then used it to buy a large red tail shark(he was a return because he outgrew a tank).
He is almost 6in! He was in a tank with eels a red tailed cat and 5-6 cichlids.. And he was just hanging out with all of them as peaceful as could be! So I bought him... He is so calm in my tank and has been getting along great with my featherfin catfish! They are hanging out under the same piece of driftwood and are so calm.
My tiger barbs were startled at fish since he was so much bigger than them! But the shark doesn't even acknowledge them he just swims around then finds a place to chill.

I also bought a roseline barb as well:)

I mean anything can happen I have a Jack Dempsey with 4 pictus cats and a red tailed shark and they have been just fine. Then there is my Featherfin who doesn't put up with any bullying.

I got a redtailed shark foday (see my other comment for details!)

That's neat but I don't know why you bought the roseline barb they need groups of 5.

So can you list off your new current stock list with the discus rehomed?

5 tiger barbs
5 small yoyo loaches
2 hill stream loaches
1 featherfin cat
1 redtailed shark
1 roseline barb
2 orange/albino barbs (that I plan on getting rid of)
1 basic Pleco I am getting rid of
I also have a ghost knife I will be putting in a 125gal tank right now it is only about 3in long

Ok you should be fine as soon as that black ghost knife gets moved. That tank sounds like its gonna be sweet!

Ok you should be fine as soon as that black ghost knife gets moved. That tank sounds like its gonna be sweet!

I finally got my stocking pretty much figured out
I'm going to be doing some aqua scaping this weekend so I'll post so pictures of the tank when it's done!

I know, I am going to get more next week :)

Yeah, they're know as Dennison barb or Torpedo barb over here (UK). I had 5 at one point but ended up trading as i felt that i hadn't got room long term. You may be ok if the tank is big enough, they are quite active. Don't be complacent with the RTBS, things can change once they settle in properly. Wish you best of luck though, hopefully you will be ok in the longer term.

Okay well I got some progress done today with rearranging my tank... It's not complete yet, might move some stuff around but here are some pictures!
Before & after.
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1387946651.995723.jpg

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1387946723.311335.jpg

Back
Top Bottom