Red-tailed sharks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lovemybarbs

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Okay, I gave up on the shrimp find. I went to my lfs and bought three very young red-tailed sharks. One died the next day. :cry: I told him that I was looking for movement on the bottom of the tank and he suggested them. I did not know about the territorial tendencies until I got home and I pulled up their profile. I read three is okay, two is bad and one is good. So far so good, but I'm keeping an eye on them. The pictus isn't bothering them even though they are very small. It's funny what he will eat and what he won't. So now my tank is more evil than ever. :twisted:

Anyway, they appear to be eating algae. I didn't read anything anywhere about that. It is like they are vacuuming the plants. Are they algae eaters?

not really, they are just looking for food and most likely checkin out the new digs. Too bad one didn't make it. I love the red-tails.... Any fish health guarantee?

My friend's red tailed shark I'm babysitting sucks out excess food out of the plants...I don't think they're algae eaters very often if at all ._.

I just flushed him. :( I'm sure there is a guarantee, but the store is 30 miles away and the few bucks wasn't worth it. Oh well.

I really like them as long as they don't get too violent. My barbs and pictus might keep them in line. :nono: They are busy little guys. Maybe I'll graduate to a 50 before they get too crazy. They might play nice in that.

I have one red tail shark and he is doin well (one of the first fish I got). They are very peacfull around other fish.

They are only a real problem with others of their own species. With two, one will beat the other one up, with several, the aggression from the dominant fish gets spread around more.

lovemybarbs said:
I always seem to make mistakes like this. I wish the guy would have warned me.

We've all been there. That is why AA is so great! Helps us out when the lfs doesn't.

well when you see more than a dozen in a tank together, you don't think it would be a fighting fish situation.

I guess I have a few months before they kill each other. :cry:

hmm, my experience is rather the opposite.
All day the red tail skims the minute amount of algae that is on the glass sides, another favourite for him seems to be a 5ft piece of driftwood which he runs back and forth up for hours.

I've also found this individual one to be VERY aggresive to most my african cichlids, it's a fin nipper, and harasses them most of the time. Funny thing is, it won't mess with the mbuna (maingano). although that might be because theres 30 of them and majority almost always wins in life.

I've found the balas to be the one who rummages through the sand sifting for food.
These two combined and my tank seems to be almost spotless. For the love of me I cannot get algae to grow for some reason.

With a dozen, there are too many for the fighting to be serious for one particular fish. They are usually quite young when the pet store gets/sells them. As they grow, they become territorial. Most of the time, the people at the lfs either don't know, or are more worried about selling fish than giving good advice. (IF you ask the right questions, instead of walking around and picking out what you like, as I learned the hard way) Most often, people walk in, say "I want 3 of these, 2 of those, and 1 of that one." Then in a couple days, weeks, etc., "Why did the fish..." After a while, you learn to ask first.

DeFeKt said:
hmm, my experience is rather the opposite.
All day the red tail skims the minute amount of algae that is on the glass sides, another favourite for him seems to be a 5ft piece of driftwood which he runs back and forth up for hours.

I've also found this individual one to be VERY aggresive to most my african cichlids, it's a fin nipper, and harasses them most of the time. Funny thing is, it won't mess with the mbuna (maingano). although that might be because theres 30 of them and majority almost always wins in life.

I've found the balas to be the one who rummages through the sand sifting for food.
These two combined and my tank seems to be almost spotless. For the love of me I cannot get algae to grow for some reason.

So you think yours is eating algae too?????????

By the way, I wasn't interested in the sharks until the lfs suggested them after I said the loaches he suggested were too big. All I wanted is something to swim around on the bottom a little and they don't sell freshwater shrimp there. :D

yea, definetly is, I was suprised to..
when he comes past on the front glass you can see his little mouth rapidly working away.

By the way, I wasn't interested in the sharks until the lfs suggested them after I said the loaches he suggested were too big
Red-tail sharks will grow larger than most of the commonly available loaches, if they live long enough. I once saw a black shark (Same type of fish, without the red tail) that was at least 12", in a very large display tank.

If kept in good shape, they can get to 6 inches or a little more. Back when I was in college, I had a tank with a couple fish and 1 red tail. He was about 6 inches when I had to sell the tank and fish. He was totally awsome.

Back
Top Bottom