Red zebra holding?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ruip

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a red zebra that I thought was a male but about a month ago it looked like it was holding eggs. It didn't eat for about 4 days then the poofy mouth and the eggs were gone now today I just notice it has poofy mouth again and it is deff holding eggs I can see them in its mouth. Also its vent was sticking out like she just laid the eggs like 5 min ago. She is being verry protective of her cave. My question is I'm not sure for one...if its deff a female and if so I'm not sure who would of mated with her...

If its holding eggs in her mouth it's most definitely a female.

Any mouthbroodering fish can and will breed with any other mouthbrooder, that's why there are so many hybrids. And why hobbyist are flooding the market with these monstrosities not knowing what the sperm donor was, there are people on this forum doing this dis-service currently.

Last edited:
Well I'm watching her right now and she's still laying eggs and picking them up but there's no other fish arround she chases everyone that comes near...is it possible none of her eggs are fertilized...she keeps laying about 4 at a time and has been for past 30 minutes

Ok here's a little twist in my situation with this red zebra.....I saw it lay eggs the other night so I was like ok its deff a female. But I just got home and turned on the light and that same zebra holding eggs was acting like a male...how you may ask? Well it was doing the shacking thing males do to attract females...everytime one of other fish swam by(not sure if female or male) it would tilt itself a little and shake its fin like my male redtop hongi does every time the female hongi swims by...I'm supper confused...do I have a female or a male? Or is it possible its both?

ruip said:
Ok here's a little twist in my situation with this red zebra.....I saw it lay eggs the other night so I was like ok its deff a female. But I just got home and turned on the light and that same zebra holding eggs was acting like a male...how you may ask? Well it was doing the shacking thing males do to attract females...everytime one of other fish swam by(not sure if female or male) it would tilt itself a little and shake its fin like my male redtop hongi does every time the female hongi swims by...I'm supper confused...do I have a female or a male? Or is it possible its both?

If you actually saw the fish in question lay eggs then there can be no doubt you have a female.It Is not uncommon for females to shimmy like a male.Ive seen it happen many times.

Yea deff saw it lay the eggs...but there was no male arround to fertilize it. This is the second time she is holding in a month and a week or so the first time after 4 or 5 days the eggs were gone not sure if she ate them or they weren't fertilized. But now its been 3 days and she's still holding how do I know if these eggs are fertilized and if not what's is going to happen? Thanks guys for your input and help

Hopefully they're fertilized...and should I just let her spit in the main tank her first time or should I go out and get a 10 gal?

ruip said:
Hopefully they're fertilized...and should I just let her spit in the main tank her first time or should I go out and get a 10 gal?

I've had many first time Momma's swallow their eggs their first time, so I would suggest letting her spit in the main so she gets some practice under her belt :)

AndrewsPistol said:
I've had many first time Momma's swallow their eggs their first time, so I would suggest letting her spit in the main so she gets some practice under her belt :)

Chances are in the main tank they will be eaten by other fish anyway but sometimes one or two survive.Enjoy the experience :)

garfy said:
Chances are in the main tank they will be eaten by other fish anyway but sometimes one or two survive.Enjoy the experience :)

None of mine survive in my main. My Compressiceps loves fry haha :)

Yea she had eggs a few weeks ago and I don't know if she swollowed them by mistake lol but hopefully she will have some survivers

garfy said:
Exactly.My compressiceps are now gone but it seems their whole being is eating fry lol

She is quite the hunter & my favorite girl in the tank :) thinkin about getting her some company when I move em all to the 150, maybe another female.

One of my Nyererei girls and Red zebra were holding last month or so for the first time, neither of them made it to term. Or even close to 20 days ( I strip between 20-25 days) being a new mom is stressful on them. They don't know how to defend themselves. One of my Ruti Island females is a pro. She gets angry, shows her stripes and chases fish away with a mouthful of eggs. She has her spot where she hangs and doesn't let the others mess with her. My first timers don't really have a territory before they hold , they are just wonderers so they don't really have a place to go when others chase them. Feeding time is super stressful on my holding Momma's cuz it's a mad house haha. It seems they wisen up some after the first time or second time, she'll get the hang of it :

Yea mine has a whole cave set up to herself and chases everyone out of it but in the morning when everyone is sleeping she let's the blue cobalt sleep in her cave...not sure if its male or female...might be the father of babies ;)

Well guys she's not holding anymore she got very stressed last night during feeding time and I think she might of ate eggs...

Back
Top Bottom